We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily to Malta

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily to Malta

We are planning to travel to Malta from Sicily in August 2011 & are having difficulty finding out what days the ferries travel on so we can go ahead & book our accomodation. Can anyone help as we don't want to book & then find out we cannot get over on that day.

Mentioned in this post
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily to Malta

Go to the Virtu Ferries website and there is a complete timetable

http://www.virtuferries.com/pages/index.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Virtu Ferries
Virtu Ferries
169 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily to Malta

Many thanks for that. Do you know how far in advance one can book for the ferry?

We will be traveling by campervan & aim to leave it at the harbour car park in Pozzallo - any thoughts on that or other alternatives for parking & will it be safe? We do not want to take it to Malta.

Mentioned in this post
Pozzallo
Pozzallo
Sicily, Italy
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily to Malta

If you are staying for long in Malta , I would suggest you bring your camper with you , as it will stand out like a sore thumb with its foreign numberplates and could be a good target for theft .

Otherwise would suggest you enquire on the Pozzallo forum for a secure 24/7 gaurded parking lot .

I am biased, as I watch a lot of Italian TV news !

Welcome to Malta

Mentioned in this post
Pozzallo
Pozzallo
Sicily, Italy
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily to Malta

The return fare is Euro 136 according to the site

virtuferries.com/pages/…

Take care and travel safe

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily to Malta

be sure to take club class, additional cost is minimal. For this you get no overcrowding, plush seating, small cafe, plenty of space, and you can go outside on deck, which only available to club class passengers.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily to Malta

be sure to take club class, additional cost is minimal. For this you get no overcrowding, plush seating, small cafe, plenty of space, and you can go outside on deck, which only available to club class passengers.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily to Malta

leaving a foreign vehicle unattented in Italy/Sicily is like letting Dracula look after a blood bank. You will definitely need to research more where you can park securely or you wont have anything to go back to after your day trip.

When I was coach driving there we just left "mafia money" ..(I know lol) on the drivers seat and the vehicle was looked after. I don't know how it works with private vehicles because I've always used hotels with secure parking on my way through. Secure parking is essential.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily to Malta

If I remember rightly the ferry fare is for the vehicle only. We had to pay extra for both the driver and passenger.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily to Malta

Hi Scuba

You are right ,the fare is for the vehicle only , the passengers have to add on their fare each .

I agree with your Dracula comparison , or like leaving chocolate in the care of children !

Foreign numberplates are an attractive preposition for some sicilians in more ways than one !

10. Re: Sicily to Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:16