We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

london
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

HI all,

I've heard Malta is wonderful but I have no idea where to stay. I will be travelling with my sister, we would like to relax, see some historical sites at a leisurely pace, take photographs of beautiful places, eat well (including 1 vegetarian) but also have an option to join in with a nightlife occasionally. Swimming would be great but I think it might be a bit cold.

any advice on which part of Malta and where in terms of hotel, apartment.palazzo would be gratefully received.

thanks all

Sioux

Mentioned in this post
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,005 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

The best place for you to stay would be St Julians.

It has the best choice of hotels as well as lots of good restaurants.

The nightlife area of Malta is in Paceville which is an area of St Julians.There are also quieter parts of the town and very pretty parts like Spinola Bay.

St Julians is well positioned to get all round the island and Valletta is only a 20 minute bus ride away.

Sliema is right next to St Julians and the two are almost one town with the best hotels being in St Julians.

The Hilton Hotel , Le Mediteranie and the Westin Draganora are all excellent and the Radisson --- slightly further away are all very popular.

A small 4 star boutique type hotel called the Juliani Hotel is good in a great location overlooking Spinola Bay.

Have a n enjoyable stay in Malta.

Graham.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
1,456 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
5,097 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Paceville
Paceville
2,200 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Spinola Bay
Spinola Bay
1,878 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

Excellent advice from Graham and I give a second vote for the Juliani!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
1,456 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
london
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

Thank you both for the advice, although we are now being advised that Malta might be a little too close to Libya at the moment.

:(

Mentioned in this post
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,005 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

There is no problems in Malta ------ the trouble is in Libya .

Graham

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

I've heard that the contingency plan is to place a ring of steel around the island consisting of all the old buses, nose to tail, with the ATP (bus drivers) acting as an elite "dads army" to repel attacks from the sea.

Of course Graham is right - no problems in Malta, but watch out DrD will be with you in a couple of weeks and me the week after.

St Julian's every time for me, but I stay in cheap hotels (but still fine) like the Alfonso (the alfie) & the Alexandra (the ally pally).

Cheers

Ntd

Mentioned in this post
Alexandra Hotel Malta
Alexandra Hotel Malta
1,053 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

Knew they'd find a last use for the old buses LOL, coming over on Sunday specially for a few last rides,(and the odd cisk)Will be all change on my next trip.

Stuart.

7. Re: Valletta/Sliema/St.Julians??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:17