We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beginners Scuba Diving

I am coming over to Malta for the first time in a couple of weeks and would like to try scuba diving for the first time seeing as Malta has such a great reputation for diving.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 1/2 or full day beginners course which includes an open water dive? I'm staying in the Buggiba area and would like to find one up to about 80 euros?

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Mellieha Bay Hotel has in its grounds a Water Sports centre that is independent to the hotel and is open to non hotel guests.

Aquaventure Limited, The Waters Edge, Mellieha Bay Hotel, Mellieha MLH 9065, www.aquaventuremalta.com phone: (00 356) 21522141 / 21522356 You can hire jet skis, sailing dingy, scuba diving as well as a speedboat.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Try Aquatica in Tony Bajada Street..... http://www.aquaticadives.com/

In fairness you are not going to get a one day "course" as such no matter who you go with if they are a registered school. You will get a try dive which will only be in confined water .. Them's the rules. Unless you are certified or on a certification course you aren't going to get a dive into open water. If you are lucky you will get to dive around Suzies Pool at Cirkewwa or somewhere close to Qawra Point. That is the closest you will get until you get qualified which can be done in as little as 3 days but usually 4.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

My daughter had a try dive last summer with Maltaqua in St Pauls Bay - google them - this involved watching a short video then taking her to first a shallow sea pool and then out into the sea - this was very reasonably priced and she hopes to do another few dives with them this summer - by doing the try dive first it lets you see if you enjoy the dive before booking for a course.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Maltaqua is about 300 yards from Aquatica and is €15 more expensive for a try dive.

There is a one day Discover Scuba certificate which is 75 euro at Maltaqua & 56 euro at Aquatica.

Don't get me wrong Maltaqua are a very good operator but their overheads mean that the extra costs will be passed on to the clients. Both are good companies but one is a lot more expensive for exactly the same product.

There are also other operators nearby that will offer the services you need

Edited: 14 April 2011, 23:59
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Sorry .. I just re-read my posting and it almost seems like I'm promoting one place over the other. My intention is purely to ensure people taking part in the sport I love do not feel ripped off.

I got my comparisons from looking at the respective websites but it's no good if you don't know where to look first of all

If you go to http://www.dogsbreathdivers.com/malta.htm there are lists of operators and their web addresses so you can compare prices etc for yourself. Sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

Leicester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

Hi, I dived with Scubanauts Dive School last year. They are based in Bugibba/ Qawra. Good small dive school that takes their time teaching you, especially if you want to do a half a day course. You can try a DSD ( Discover Scuba Diver) this will include an Open water confined dive and their prices are quiet reasonable. Check out there reviews on here, they are very good thats how I started diving with them. Anyway wish you look and enjoy your dive.

7. Re: Best Beginners Scuba Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:19