We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area/hotel near to beach?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Which area/hotel near to beach?

Hi

My mum is in her 60s and would like to spend a week in Malta in August & I will be accompanying her. Neither of us have ever been there and I am trying to find a reasonable hotel that is close to a beach. My mum has some trouble with her feet, so she is not intending to go sightseeing every day, however, it would be great if the surrounding area would have some shops and restaurants.

Which area/hotel could you recommend near to a beach? Thanking you in advance.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

Most of the sandy beaches are in the north part of the island and are in remote areas.

My suggestion is have a look at the RUI Seabank Hotel on Mellieha Bay, this hotel is situated right across the road from the sandy beach and is only a short bus ride up to Mellieha village.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 13:19
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

Thank you very much for your suggestion Macl1uk I will look into it.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

You could try looking at the Dolmen in Qawra which is across the road from a man made sandy beach but it does serve it's purpose and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The bus station is adjacent so if you do want to go sightseeing it is only a minute or so away.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

Scubapro: thanks very much for your suggestion. The Dolmen in Qawra looks fab but costs £742 for a week w breakfast which is pricey, but probably normal for this time of the year. I will have to ask my mum if she is happy with the price.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

Look at the San Antonio which is next door. Technically not on the beach but if you leave by the "rear gate" you are virtually outside the entrance to the Dolmen.

I've stayed at the San Antonio before and thought it very comfortable

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

The area around the beach at Mellieha doesnt have much happening, but the beach is brilliant. I would suggest that you look at the hotels with a pool in either the Bugibba/Qawra or the St Julians/Sliema areas. These area both have long promenades that you could stroll along in the evening together with shops and restaurants. Malta has so much to offer it would depend on what sort of holiday that you want to have and how mobile that your mother is so that I could offer some suggestions on where would be most suitable remembering that Malta in August will be very hot

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

Considering your mums ails, I would definitely go with Scubaopro 1957 as your best option as this area is near everything you are looking for. With a fantastic promenade, with plenty of seats all the way along, this will make it easier on mums feet, have a wonderful time in MALTA.

8. Re: Which area/hotel near to beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 10:18