We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of eating drinking etc etc

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of eating drinking etc etc

Wondered if anyone can tell me how expensive it is to eat and drink out in Malta? Trying to put together a bargain break this might help decide on what kind of board basis to book.

Travelling with a 6 year old so also wondered how child friendly restaurants and bars are?

Thanks

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

Most restaurants are very child friendly, there were 8 of us last August and the average cost of a meal in most restaurants was about €15 a head including drink, you can eat for less but we did not scrimp.

It all depends on where you are thinking of staying as to whether you go half or full board or just B&B. Some areas are remote, such as Mellieha Bay, you would need to get a bus to Mellieha village to find a some restaurants, other areas like St Julian’s have many restaurants.

Can you give us some idea where you are looking to stay, so someone can guide you?

Have a great holiday

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

To be honest I have no set ideas about where to stay as yet - i've booked some cheap ryanair flights for myself, my parents in 70s and my 6 year old granddaughter and just starting to look at accommodation now so any tips would be appreciated

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

You can eat out for as little or as much as you like so it shouldn't be a problem. When do you go as this would influence where you should stay. What do you want nearby? I would book bed and breakfast as there are so many lovely restaurants to try but as the previous poster stated, if you stay in a remote area then half board might be a better option

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

Sliema is a great place to stay - close to Valetta and buses every 5 mins (though they get busy and you can use the ferry as an option) Also direct buses from Sliema to Mdina, Golden Bay and Gozo ferry.

Main courses are usually around £8 - £12 but of course you can pay more or less. Beer £2.50 in many bars - again some cheaper and some dearer

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

We have always found Bugibba/Qawra to be cheaper for eating out than Sliema/St Julians. If you are going self catering the food prices are similar to what you would pay in a local shop at home (not our bargain supermarket prices). It would probably work out cheaper for you if you go half board, we did this last year and used lowcostholidays.com for our hotel just check the reviews for hotels to see what other people have thought of the hotel and the food as if its bad you will then have to pay to eat out somewhere else but with half board you end up paying hotel prices for the drinks so it may not be cheaper in the long run. This year we are going back to self catering as we prefer to have the choice of the different restuarants - check out the postings on this forum for the Euro Bar, it gives an idea of some pub prices. Google The Avenue Malta, they have their menu online with the prices, it is a resturant popular with the Maltese, it is not the cheapest and you should be able to get most dishes a couple of euro cheaper elsewhere but it will give you an idea of prices.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

One of the cafeteria/sat Sliema Ferries had full English breakfast and toast was eur 6. Omlettes, hamburgers, chickenburgers with salad and chips were also eur 6 as was a spaghetti tom. sauce

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

My advice would be to go to Mgarr and try one of the lovely traditional restaurants in the village, they all serve pretty nice local dishes at very reasonable prices, they are all very child friendly and there will always be something for the kids to eat, our reccomendations are Sunny Bar (Ta Wistin), the Farmers restaurant in Zebbiegh, United Bar, and Ta-Lingliz, the cooking smells wafting out of all these places on a sunday lunch time are fabulous.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

You mention 70 year old parents as well, my recommendation would be Sliema area. Nice walking , sitting on on the main promenade facing the sea, or ofacing Sliema Creek. Loads of eateries of all kinds, including Macdonalds and Pizza Hut! Easy to get aorund by bus from here as well, even for your parents.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

"Macdonalds and Pizza Hut" hardly a good advertisement for the best in eating out in Malta is it ?, I wouldn't feed that rubbish to a pet rat (if I had one).

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of eating drinking etc etc

Siggiewi4 - I am NOT rubbishing Maltese food - far from it, there are places in Sliema like Ta Kolina or Ta Kris, and one of my best ever meals is still the farmer's kitchen at Mgarr with Maltese rabbit. BUT I mentioned the fast food as well, because they are going with a 6 year old who might fancy a buger on one day!