We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

We will be staying in St Julian's, and would quite like to go to the Festa St hilip in Zebbug. We went in 2002 when we were in Sliema, took an organised trip with hotel pickup. I'm wondering if anyone knows any tour companies so that I can check out prices, and maybe if there are any other options at a comparable cost - ie could we take a bus there and taxi back for example. Our experience last time was that taxis were expensive, about £10 from St Julian's to Sliema where we stayed, so would be wary that a taxi back might be expensive? Anyone know the cost? Or does anyone know any private drivers that might do this? I read somewhere that you pass Mdina on the way, maybe it would be nice to see Mdina on the way to the Festa?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

You should be able to get to Zebbug quite easily by bus. You would have to go to Valletta first and then on to Zebbug from there (you don't pass Mdina as far as I'm aware - I'd do that on a separate trip and I believe there are direct buses from St Julians). You will find bus timetables from here

www.atp.com.mt You are going in June so the old buses should still be running. As from 1st July Arriva take over and everything will change

The price you quoted for a taxi ride from St Julian's to Sliema sounds expensive (was it late at night??) You can walk from St Julian's to Sliema as it's not far. You might need to get a taxi back from Zebbug if you are returning late after the buses have stopped, if not bus back should be fine. I would email a few taxi firms to get quotes before jumping in a taxi so you know what you are letting yourself in for. You will find plenty of suggestions for taxi companies if you search the forum. We always use Kevin Mifsud at kevintaxis@hotmail.com

Hope this helps

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

I don't know which evening you went last time, but the festa gets going on SATURDAY evening, with a band march and usually a concert, the church illuminated and decorated and after the church service open till 11 pm or later, with people strolling and eating and drinking all manner of things, and finishing off with fireworks.. SUNDAY is a little more controlled, when the statue is carried shoulder high in procession round the village after a service in the evening, led by the band, yet more stomach related activity and probably more fireworks.

Easy to get to by bus, but you will need a taxi back. Pre book one one when you are there, don't just pick up any passing white cab - MUCH more expensive. Search on here or WEMBLEY 2137 4141. You can ask him to drive back to St. Julian's so you can see Mdina all lit up from below, it isn't out of his way.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Hi

Twirl - thanks for that, I've sent an email for a price. Our taxi from St Julian's was late at night from the Hilton in St Julian's to the Crowne Plaza in Sliema. I'm sure we were being ripped off, but it was too far to walk late at night - we did usually walk over there, and then taxi back. This time we're staying over that way, so won't be an issue :0)

Sean - we went on Sunday last time, I'm pretty sure. I didn't realise there was stuff going on during the Satruday evening, but we saw the statue being brought out the church etc, so I'm convinced it was Sunday we went. I wonder though if we should consider the Saturday instead then....any thoughts anyone???

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Hi Lesley, it does sound like you were there on a Sunday evening, the Zebbug feast is a really good one even though their fireworks wake us up early three days on the trot over the course of their feast, my advice would be to catch the number 88 bus direct from Valletta and stay and enjoy the feast for as long as you wish and catch a taxi back to Sliema.

My reccomendation would be to use Ray Bezzina Taxi Service we have used hem for years now and never been dissapointed, they are always reliable, punctual, polite, and very reasonable with their pricing, their website is www.raybezzinacarhire.com/about-malta.php and you can contact Ray or Graziella by e-mail on info@raybezzinacarhire.com

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Yes, you were there on the Sunday! Saturday evening is party atmosphere, but still very controlled, families, children grandparents all out and about. Band concert is about 8 or 8.30 and then what is called a march but is more like a stroll! Fireworks by their own fireworks factory all day but spectacular aerial displays in late evening usually about 11 pm. Church open to visitors and the statue on its plinth surrounded by flowers. If you have done the procession, then I recommend you go Saturday this time. Transport as we suggested previously.

6. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 17:05
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Can't help but wonder what that last post said :0)

I tried emailing the taxi firm recommended by twirl, but no response. I'll look at the other options, although I don't really want to try calling from here to get a price. I wonder if the hotel might be able to help out, or maybe a local cab firm in St Julian's (we could walk in and arrange maybe).

Thinking we maybe should go on the Saturday evening now. Might be best to have dinner in Valetta though.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Wembley Taxis are based in St. Julian's 2137 4141

email info@wembleys.net

Possibly biggest private hire on island. Tell them what you want to do and they will give you a price and advise where best to pick you up to take you back to St.Julian's

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

HI Lesley

I did wonder about that removed post too - there were quite a few removed posts recently - someone promoting their services I would guess

Strange that you didn't receive a reply from Kevin's taxis, they usually reply pretty quickly. Just check your spam mail in case it's gone there. Wembley Taxis are also reliable so you could email them too

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Festa St Philip - Zebbug 12th June

Thanks all. I'll try Wembley and also check my spam again (checked it last night but not today).

Really looking forward to the trip now, been looking up restaurants etc too, need to find somewhere nice for our anniversasry.