We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

Now that Arriva have started to publish details of the new bus routes from the 3rd July, I thought that it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to summarising the facts of the changes (rather than guesswork or personal opinions), so that visitors can easily refer to them.

To start the ball rolling, here are the places to look for details of the new services:

Firstly go to the Arriva Malta website - www.arriva.com.mt - then click on the “Routes and timetables” tab which will bring up a page explaining the different types of service and giving links to timetables and a network map.

However, the current network map is rather complicated so a simplified diagrammatic map of the main services has been produced which can be downloaded here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer…

(note that if it appears a bit blurred, you may be able to get a clearer version by clicking on the “file” menu and selecting “download original”).

From 3rd July there will be four types of services:

– AIRPORT EXPRESS services (numbered X1-X4) which link the airport with Valletta, Rabat, Sliema, St,Julians, Buggibba, Qawra, St.Pauls Bay, Mellieha and Cirkewwa (for the Gozo Ferry);

– MAIN LINE routes (numbered 1-99) which will go to/from Valletta;

– FEEDER LINE services (numbered 101-199) which connect in with the other services at interchange points

– CROSS LINE services 201 and 202 which provide links to some of the tourist attractions such as Rabat and Blue Grotto.

There will also be new network of services on Gozo numbered 301-399.

To assist visitors staying in the main tourist resorts a summary of the main services that are likely to be of use to them, is available here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190311-c159338/Mal…

Mentioned in this post
Gozo Ferry
Gozo Ferry
2,187 Reviews
Island of Gozo, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra
Qawra
Island of Malta, Malta
Mellieha Bay Hotel
Mellieha Bay Hotel
2,298 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

Hi Phil

Keep up the good work , great info .

I added Rabat and Mdina , and some Gozo Ferry numbers on your very good article.

Arriva seem to have given importance to the airport services to various towns like Rabat , Bugibba ,Sliema and Valletta without changing at Valletta .

Will have to wait and see how the Interchange stations will work .

I have my doubts , how long these routes will be profitable for Arriva , if operated so frequently ......fingers crossed !!!

Mentioned in this post
Gozo Ferry
Gozo Ferry
2,187 Reviews
Island of Gozo, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

It all going to be a disaster .

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

This is the route map

http://www.arriva.com.mt/file.aspx?f=55

and will keep my fingers crossed how much of this planned service will be left after a year !

Edited: 28 May 2011, 18:00
London
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

brilliant phil!

just need a good service from Luqa to St Julian's without being put on a filthy 50 year old coach (that isn't a Maltese heritage bus) with no room for legs, let alone luggage....& I love Malta buses!

cheers

Ntd

Mentioned in this post
Luqa
Luqa
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

Thanks Phil! Look forward to your updates as the info rolls out. I agree with 643 - the jury is out, and I can't say yet it will be a disaster. Let's give them a chance, Graham

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

All looks very interesting. Seem to be a lot of routes and we will have to see if they all remain viable. Only time will tell I guess.

This post needs to be kept near the top - made into a sticky?? or maybe someone can put the important bits into a FAQ

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

Already done - good work Phil, will be most useful

Gozo
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

From what I can see Gozo university students have to waint 50minutes for a bus to pass near MaterDei.

Mentioned in this post
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

University students from Gozo will need to use the new X1 service from Cirkewwa, the peak hour journeys of which appear to have been designed to connect with the ferry.

At the moment they only have a slow bus once per hour so in theory this direct fast bus should be an improvement (or have I missed something).

Mentioned in this post
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Bus Route Network from 3rd July

The full list of fares from 3rd July is now shown on the Arriva Website here:

http://www.arriva.com.mt/fare-information

In most cases it is likely that visitors to Malta will find a €2.60 day ticket or a €12 weekly ticket will be the cheapest (and simplest) way to travel on the new bus network. You can buy these on the bus or from ticket machines at key bus stops - see

www.arriva.com.mt/where-do-i-buy-my-ticket .

Note that tickets purchased in Malta cannot be used to travel on Gozo (and vice versa).

Visitors from abroad should note that different fares are charged to people who live in Malta and have a Maltese ID card.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 08:47
Mentioned in this post