We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing where to stay

UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing where to stay

Hello

We are a party of 4 adults, one is a scuba diver and the other three are interested in shopping and sightseeing, not too fussed about a beach. Can you recommend which area in Malta for us to stay? Thanks

Ta' Qali Crafts Village
Gift & Speciality Shops
Phoenician Glassblowers
Gift & Speciality Shops
Master Plaster
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Olivewood
Gift & Speciality Shops
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing where to stay

Suggest you look to stay in St Julian's, this is fairly central for shopping either in Sliema or Valetta and you can do scuba diving from this area. Also plenty of restaurants in St Julian's.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing where to stay

Totally agree, St Julian's or nearby Sliema

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing where to stay

St Julians has excellent Hotels and restaurants - and has good public transport links to Sliema and Valetta where the main shopping areas are.

Along the promenade between St Julians and Sliema (in total about 40 mins walk) can be found a couple of scuba diving businesses.

I would personally recommend booking into an apartment in the Portomaso complex (see malta direct or holiday-lettings malta) and the scuba diving enthusiast could visit the blue lagoon at Comino and/or Gozo for his pursuits.

Please let me know should you wish for a particular Portomaso recommendation.

Mentioned in this post
Comino
Comino
Malta
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing where to stay

Most of the better diving sites are toward the north of Malta, but there are dive centres all over that will provide transport.

Many will also pick up from your accommodation, which is particularly useful if you have your own equipment.

Agree that Sliema or St. Julian's are your best bet, due to the shopping. There should be no problem finding a dive centre there. I usually get my favourite, Aquaventure, to pick me up though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing where to stay

what are the travel times from St Juliens to Valetta. Is it ok by public transport. I hear what you say about restaurants and bars in St Juliens but is the nightlife bustling or is it better to staqy in valetta to cover all options food, drink, nightlife,shopping

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing where to stay

It takes about 15 / 20 minutes to get from St Julians to Valletta.

However there is very little nightlife in valletta . There are a few restaurants but generaly the city is extremely quiet at night.

Most nightlife is centrered arout St Julians with it choice of bars and eating places.

For really lively nightlife such as clubs , discos and lively bars you need to be in Paceville the clubbing centre of St Julians.

Have an enjoyable stay.

Graham

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing where to stay

If you feel that St. Julian's/Paceville will be too bustling at night (much of it is for me) then try Sliema. Again I prefer the Strand part because of the views and life going past as I sit outside the bars. Easy to access Valletta and other areas, loads of buses are planned

8. Re: Help choosing where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 23:19