We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Malta Trip?

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet Malta Trip?

Hi there,

My partner and I are looking at destinations for a holiday in a couple of weeks time. I've just come across Malta as somewhere that I've never really thought of but it looks fantastic!

Having read around, it seems most people head off to Malta for a 'sun and pool' holiday but we'd be heading to Malta for the sights, churches, museums etc.

Therefore, we're after a hotel in Valetta that is geared towards sight-seeing tourists rather than people who are looking to lounge around the pool.

Having said that, we're not opposed to going all-inclusive at a large 'sun and pool' hotel as long as it's a quiet hotel, preferrably primarily populated by older people (i.e. no screaming kids everywhere).

I'm sorry if that all seems slightly jumbled, but I'm hoping someone can give me a few recommendations....

Thanks, K

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

in a couple of weeks time? August will be hot so you will need somewhere with aircon. We like Sliema as its close to great swimming spots plus not too far to get to Valletta especially with the ferry. Also booking a good place may be a bit late what with school holidays etc. We have stayed at private apartments and also The Palace Hotel in sliema (great pool & views of Malta) - you may get a last minute special at this hotel - its not on the beach but 10 minute walk either to the swimming spots or the ferry to go to Valletta. Great pub a few doors away called The Salisbury Arms (closed Mondays). If possible postpone till late Sept. its still warm enough to swim but more comfortable to visit museums, churches etc. - we were there recently just before the changeover of the busses & it wasnt much fun waiting in the sun for a bus that either flew past as it was full or didnt come at all and the new company Arriva is having a few problems. You wouldnt want to be waiting in the sun in August.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

Hi K

Malta is THE ideal destination for people who want a holiday of history , culture and sightseeing.

There is more to see and do in Malta than anywhere in the world size for size.

A fortnight will not be nearly enough to see everything, I have been going to Malta for several months each year for many years and I still find new things of interest.

There is of course a clubbing / disco / nightlife area but this is mainly round the Paceville part of St Julians.

As Malta is so small it doesn`t really matter where you stay as nowhere is far away.

I would say that Sliema might be the best area to stay. Valletta at night may be too quiet. Sliema has a large selection of hotels of varying quality and prices .There are also plenty of restaurants , cafes ,bars and shops.

Have a good holiday and enjoy the country.

Graham

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your replies.

We're actually looking at going there the week beginning 25th July for five days.

It's a real shame we're not able to go for longer but we're only able to get this particular week off work this year.

Can you recommend any good hotels in Sliema? Again, somewhere with some character, not too large and definately not full of kids! Also, how often does the ferry to Valetta depart? And how much does it cost from Sliema to Valetta?

Thanks, K

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

It depends of course on your budget .

The Fortina Spa Hotel has wonderfull views across the water to Valletta. It has two parts , a 4 star and a more expensive 5 star part.

The Waterfront Hotel ( 4 star ) and Preluna Hotel ( 4 star ) are both popular.and well positioned.

The ferry across to valletta runs every half hour or so but I would suggest you don`t go to valletta on it as you have a very steep , heart attack inducing climb up to the city centre.

In the hot July weather climbing up it is not a good idea.

However it is nice to come back on the ferry as you have gravity to help you down to the water.

There are buses to Valletta and it is only 15 or 20 minutes away.

Graham

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

We recently stayed at the Osborne Hotel in Valletta. It has a small swimming pool on the roof. It's in an ideal spot for sightseeing and, for getting to other places, the buses are just round the corner.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

I agree that Sliema is a a good base.

However, you say you want a quiet holiday so maybe you might like the Phoenicia and Excelsior in Floriana just outside Valletta. Both 5*.

There are some small restaurants for dinner in Valletta, the Valletta Waterfront, the Marsamxetto Harbour side and Lo Squero near the Excelsior. Valletta is very bustling during the day but very, very quiet in the evenings.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

firstly I suggest looking at whats available re hotels etc by clicking on the hotels on left hand side eg Juliani Hotel seems popular small boutique.. Secondly for 5 days I would stay in Valletta and or Sliema DO NOT go any further than St Julians eg Qawra/Bugibba/Melleiha are too far even though malta is small - ok if had more time & want to swim most days. Re the ferries - unfortunately have misplaced my timetable but they ran every half hour either on the quarter hour eg 9.45 or 10.15 or half hour eg 9.00 then 9.30 BUT my memory is failing me though Im fairly certain that FROM Valletta to Sliema it was on the quarter hour. The LAST one to leave Valletta was 7.00pm and there was no return from Sliema to Valletta after that. Cant recall what time they started but I think around 8.00am. It was 1.50 euro each way but worth every penny esp with the erratic busses at the time (late June early July) and much quicker & pleasant way of travel. Im not sure if they work sundays though I see you are there midweek anyway. Also one day I do recall we missed the last ferry as they finished earlier that day - sorry cant recall what day maybe it was a sunday - anyway there was a yellow water taxi service: note at first he quoted 4 Euros per person one way when ppl turned away he quoted 2 per person still worth it. Either way both Valletta side & Sliema side had cafes etc to sit & wait for the next one ps this time I didnt find the climb up from the Valletta side so bad as the first time as we criss crossed streets eg walked up then walked along a flat area up the next street - the first part is the hardest but there are rails to assist with going up along this curved road. Read reviews re hotels, I still suggest Sliema as you can go into Valletta early do all the cultural side of things then arrive back into sliema after 5.00pm go for a swim relax then you have plenty of restuarants to chose from with no need to get public transport. Also bus transport from Valletta to Sliema runs till late if Arriva have got their act together by then - hope so. Maybe Phil-the-Bus can enlighten us as to the present situation. I will msg you re suggested must sees if you like.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

also might be a better idea to research hotels make a list of a few then google each hotels website as you may get a better deal than whats advertised eg we got The Palace for 79Euros a night when all sites were quoting more than 120 a night but we did book this well in advance & we stayed 5 nights - this was for late June and we had a great aircon room up on the 5th floor with some harbour views facing a church to our left. After that we stayed at 2 private apartments each working out at 75 Euros a night but I see they are full up for your time.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

There is a new yellow water taxi service in the Grand Harbour which seems to be worth trying out.

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet Malta Trip?

Stella, some suggestions of must-see places would be fantastic, thank you.

Michelle, I have looked at the Osborne.. it looks absolutely fantastic- I just hope that they've got some rooms still available!

Thank you for everyone's very kind advice on this :)