We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sliema vs Qawra

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Sliema vs Qawra

Hi guys,

last time did not get Holiday, so we had to cancel our trip.

this coming September (middle Sept), hopefully, we ll go for 6 nights.

we are on a budget.. and we have already done our "annual active holiday" with lots of hiking, flights to catch, bus, so on

so, for 1 week we wonna take it ease.. still, wants to see smt.. some Excursions , nothing crazy..

so, I was looking ar the 115 Aparthotels in Sliema.. good price (got a quote of 76€ x night for 1 Apt seaview)..

or the PARKLANE APARTHOTEL in Qawra which seem to be a quiter area...but more expensive place

we are looking for a town where possible to enjoy some nice dinner (food is too important for us), some quite walking after dinner.. maybe a pint of beer... no need clubs, disco, ....

and where is easy to find some Tour/excursion

any help/ideas is much appreciated

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

The Parklane appartments are very good and are in an excellent position.

There are lots of bars , shops , supermarkets , restaurants , snack bars and pubs all round it.

The bus station is only a couple of hundred yards away ---- half a minutes gentle stroll.

Just round the corner is Mary`s shop ---- Freestar tours --- everyone will tell you where she is . Good tours at very cheap prices and she is very reliable.

Qawra has a flat promenade all the way through Bugibba and on to St Pauls Bay.

Plenty to see and do in the area. good choice for a short stay.

Have a nice time.

Graham

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

thanks grahamwitton

Qawra sound lovely!.. my wife will def like it...

"flat promenade " reminds me of our Salthill prom in Galway that goes into town.. and we are never tired to walk it!

waiting for a quote from Parklane... but I quick check in Expedia or booking.com gives me around 96/100€ x night

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

I don't know either apartment but think that sliema also meets your requirements. The apartments are in a good area, close to the local bus links. There are a lot of nice restaurants close by and in neighbouring St Julians which can be reached by a 30 minute walk on a nice promenade, or a very short bus ride. Also, you are only 20 minutes from Valletta (by bus) or you can take a lovely harbour cruise. Basically, if the price difference is so great, I would opt for Sliema and use the money saved for excursions, including a trip to Qawra!!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

Thanks Triplalot

unless I find smt better, i m looking @ 150€ difference... which is the Ryanair ticket Dublin > Malta return (at the moment)..

Thanks both for the moment!.. and I ll keep sarching for deals!

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

Personally out of Sliema and Qawra I would pick Sliema. If however you are after sandy beaches Qawra is nearer to good sandy beaches like Mellieha Bay and Golden Bay.

Qawra is very touristy with small shops whereas Sliema has a better selection of shops. Both have flat promenades and a good selection of restaurants. I think you would be better situated in Sliema for excursions and easier access to Valetta.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

thanks mac1uk,

Sliema looks nice (i m looking at pictures in Google) and bit cheaper, which is not bad for us... and as many f you said, close to Valletta...

want to compare rates and I ve got an interesting quote from Empire Studio Apartments ,St.Georges Road , Paceville St.Julians

Price is very very good.. I do understand that they are in land without sea view.. but that is the least of our problem...

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

I always stay around Sliema if you want a promonade like Salthill then you can walk on the one in Sliema to St Julians and on to St Georges Bay small little man made sandy beach down from Paceville or walk the other way into Sliema sit at the harbour and have a nice glass of Cisk a lot cheaper than Galway I should know was down there in March. Plenty of restaurants bars and coffee shops in Sliema plus you are on the main bus route and you can get to Qawra or anywhere on the island for less than a bus run from Salthill to Galway.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

Be careful of Paceville, this is the heart of night clubs area and can be very noisy, I would NOT recommend that area.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

Another vote for Sliema, very central, lots of restaurants, bars, pubs etc. Long promenade for evening strolls, on sea front and on bus route. Very near Valletta for sightseeing too.

As Mac says be careful of Paceville, you need to know exactly where those apartments are before you book them or you might end up in the heart of the nightlife

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sliema vs Qawra

You sleep in Sliema you play in Paceville.

Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations