We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses

Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Buses

How are the teething pains with Arriva? I'm visiting in mid September and hoping to use them to get around the Island.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses

The teeth are still painfully coming through !

Let us hope things get better soon.

Graham

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses

I am out 15 - 30 August so will report back, since I usually use buses a lot as well when I am in Malta!

Strangely enough, whilst hoping that they run to time, the thing I am NOT looking forward to is the air conditioning - I was there 3rd week of July and it was far too high on the buses, you froze to death then did an extra sweat when you got off into the heat.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses

Yes I agree it was freezing on some of them. Also having read they were new buses I was suprised how scruffy they seemed.

In our experience the ones that run 1/2 hourly ie X2 to airport, 202 Sliema to Rabat were sometimes missing, we waited nearly an hour for both these but ones to and from Valletta to Sliema were every few minutes, though some were full.

My advice would be to allow plenty of time and take a sweatshirt!!!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses

Once you're a tourist you won't mind some of the new routes. They don't go directly from A to B but pass through towns on the way. A sort of scenic tour but not ideal for locals.

Arriva have said that by 11 Sep things should have worked out -

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses

Fair point hat776 - however, many of us "tourists" are actually people who did the scenic thing years ago and like the locals , want to get from A to B in the quickest time, so the jury is still out for us as well.

Any suggestions about what you could call us? We are not locals, we don't think of ourselves as "tourists" - but please be polite!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses

That's a hard one Sean - I'll try and think.

I once read that someone who visits a country, learns about its culture and way of life, mingles with the locals , takes time to appreciate what the country has to offer is a traveller not a tourist.

Still doesn't sound right though, I;m sure there's a better word

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses

Traveller is better, but still doesn't sound right. I think hte MTA refers to us as "returners". In fact, it just feels like we are coming home each time. There are some who say that the likes of Graham and me are IDIOTS because we keep coming back to Malta!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses

That`s OK .

It was always my ambition to be an idiot but I was over qualified for the job !

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses

You asked for it Sean

You do not need to be an idiot to work here , but it helps !!!!!

We use that sentence a lot in my job , since most things we use are foolproof :-)

Just pulling a leg and no offence intended .

Keep up the good advice !

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buses

Hehehe @graham - and no offence at all, 643. Will be able to sample the buses again next week, but all you locals like 643 who don't use phone boxes or buses, and eat in posh restaurants and live in villas with pools, aren't much help when I need a bus from Floriana to B'kara that passes McDonalds in Valley Road!