We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

Hello,

Malta looks beautiful, I'm thinking of taking my daughter there for one week, starting October 15th. I know the weather won't be hot, but will it still be warm? Would it still be possible to snorkel and swim in the blue lagoon..without freezing?! Activitiy -wise, Im thinking Playmobil, the Dolphin park, and Popey village, the beach, walking through town....Which part of the island would you recommend staying in?

Thanks for any tips!

Susanna

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

For the beach, Popey village and a boat cruise to Blue Lagoon I would recommend you stay in Millieha. A lovely town within easy reach to the actvities you are seeking and it has in my view the best beach in Malta.

The weather won't be as hot as in July/August but reasonably warm for a swim and even a light tan. The water in Blue Lagoon feels cold, but once you are there for a couple minute you won't even notice. So go for it!!!.

For walking about, you may want to consider a visit to Valetta and Sliema, Beautiful cities. In the old bus system the journey takes about 40 minutes to either. But there reports now that the new bus system is a bit chaotic. You will need to post another question on this forum so people who are now (or recenetly have been) in Malta might help you with an update.

Cas

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon
3,232 Reviews
Comino, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

The disadvantage of Mellieha is that it doesn't have a Promenade which is practical with a child. There are usually play grounds too.

Bugibba/Qawra has a small sandy beach and so does Sliema/St Julians (but the new bus system is rather complicated) whereas Mellieha has one of the best beaches in Malta. If you decide on Mellieha, once you have a child maybe it would be best if you choose a hotel down by the beach and not in the village which is up a steep hill.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra
Qawra
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

Schools start at end Sep and children carry on swimming till the very end and on weekends beginning October. The weather is usually suitable for swimming at that time, and in fact even end Oct/beg Nov. But nowadays it seems that

the weather the world over is rather unpredictable

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

Mellieha is a wonderful village - that why we live here - it has the very best beach and safe too - it may not have the promenade that other areas have but it still has a great beach side pavemented walk. Others may have a prom but they dont have the massive sandy beach that Mellieha has - if the hill to and from the village is a problem i would suggest staying at either the seabank or the mellieha bay or even the danish village...you can always jumpo in a tax for about 10euros each way to get tot he village on the occasions of wanting to see the village - there are lots of restaurants bars and cafes both in the village and at the beach front area.

But beware the buses at the moment as they are still chaotic with many visitors subjected to long delays as the buses are usually full....especially at peak times going to and from the beach. Arrive have untl 11the Sept (911) to resolve many issues lets hope it happens for all.

enjoy malta and especially hope you enjoy your stay in our lovely village.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

David do you think the new revised bus routes will help ?

Route X6

New express route from Ċirkewwa to Valletta - with limited stops in Mellieħa, Mosta, Birkirkara, Fleur de Lys and Floriana. The service will be scheduled to reflect the Gozo ferry timetable to provide a faster transport connection between Valletta and Gozo.

Mentioned in this post
Gozo Ferry
Gozo Ferry
2,185 Reviews
Island of Gozo, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Mosta
Mosta
Island of Malta, Malta
Birkirkara
Birkirkara
Island of Malta, Malta
Floriana
Floriana
Island of Malta, Malta
Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

am sure that any changes that reflect actual usage rather than some overpaid consultants trumped up ideas for changes has got to be a good thing.

they still have buses even now without the the X6 route that service the ferry to valletta route and they're still in the main full to overloaded - and i can say this without fear of contradiction as we live literally on the route and we see the buses every day pass our terrace., still leaving passengers standing at the stage.

they need to stop supplying local estate type round robin type buses as they re not being used and put more buses on the busier routes and make the service run every 10-15 minutes.

7. Re: Going to Malta with my 3 and a half year old daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 04:16