We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days Itinerary

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
7 days Itinerary

Hi all

I am planning a trip for my family to Malta and would love to get your comments on our itinerary.

We are three generations travelling together (from Denmark) to celebrate my mother’s 70th birthday: 5 adults ranging from 40 – 70 and 4 kids (12 – 15) and – since my dear mother is paying for the whole thing - sort of on a budget.

Anyways here goes:

Day 1 – October 14 - Friday:

We land at Malta international at 13:30 and get transferred to our self-catered apartment in Vittoriosa/Birgu. We drop our luggage and hurry down to the waterfront to get a quick seaside view of the three cities with the Maltese water taxi company, before we go have dinner at Taverna Sugu,. A short walk to Victory Square and then head home.

Day 2 – October 15 -Saturday:

The sights in Vittoriosa: Maritime museum, Inquisitors palace, the area around Il Collacio, Parish museum (probably not open), the Normann house, St Lawrence Church and the Malta at War- museum. A walk by the St. Angelo fortifications and a stroll home by the waterfront.

Day 3 - October 16. Sunday

We catch an early bus to Valletta to see the market next to the bus station. We traverse Valletta with this tour: : traveldk.com/travel-ideas/valletta-travel-it… We go grab lunch at some time at “Prego – 58 South Street, drop by the old Infirmary and check out “The Malta Experience”. Dinner somewhere? And a water taxi back to Vittoriosa.

Day 4- October 17. Monday

I Had planned a trip to go see the temples at Hal Saflieni and Hypogeum, but it appears to be fully booked. Maybe on this day we will simply chill. Families may split up and do their own thing.

Evening: A Fenkata somewhere to celebrate my birthday – recommendations are more than welcome. Yup that is me with the other thread. I am still looking for a nice place which is quickly and easily reached with public transport, not a tourist trap, and reasonably priced.

Day 5 October 18. Tuesday

By bus to Mdina and Rabat – usual sights like city wall, fortifications, cathedrals, Falzon palace, Domus Romana and the catacombs.

Day 6 October 19. Wednesday

Maybe a trip to the Blue Grotto, temples at Hagar Quim and Mnajdra, The village Marsaxklokk and perhaps a dip in Peters Pool.

Is this possible with public transport or would it be best to rent cars for this day?

Day 7 October 20. Thursday

Daytrip to Gozo maybe with a half-day visit at a local farm: ingozo.com/www.agerfoundation.com/…1 and probably the rest of the day in Victoria.

Is it possible to get to the salt pans with public transportation?

That is pretty much it. What do you think – did I miss any must do/see things out? All tips are welcomed.

Thanks

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days Itinerary

Mickr

As you are self-catering, and on a sort of budget, do not forget to leave time to go to a supermarket. Even if you are eating out for evening meal you will need breakfast items, drinks, etc. You've certainly done your homework . Enjoy your holiday and celebrations.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days Itinerary

Sounds pretty busy to me, leave some chill out time or you will feel too rushed and not relaxed at all

Enjoy

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days Itinerary

Hehe - there is one full day of chillin' - should be enough. We just might never return and i am just trying to cover the basics.

Edited: 11 October 2011, 23:48
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days Itinerary

You've got the basics covered, you've got more than the basics covered. Enjoy your holiday

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days Itinerary

For Vittoriosa mornings are best - the little parish museum should be open - or ask the volunteer guide in the church (mornings only). There is a nice little cafe on Victory Square and a couple of clubs. Don't be afraid to wander in - chat about the pictures of the Feast and you will soon make friends!

Re. The Hypogeum - the 12 noon and 4 pm tours are only bookable 24 hours before at the Museum of Archaelogy, so you still have a chance.

You might want to reconsider your day in Valletta on the Sunday, since St. John's Co-Cathedral (a must!) and the other churches will all be closed, though museums are open.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days Itinerary

Thx a gazillion you just saved me from a rather embarrasing moment. We will visit Valetta on another day.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days Itinerary

I am glad you won't miss out on Valletta! Why not change your day to Blue Grotto etc for the Sunday? Temple etc are open. A car would be good for this day as well, since the places you want to go are not on the same bus routes - and if you find you have more time you can always drive somewhere else.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days Itinerary

agree with above post re changing day to Valletta, also I clicked onto the website re tour of Valletta - and found an error (unless I read it wrong) but Hotel Juliani is in St Julians not in Valletta, otherwise the rest of the info seems right. Hiring a car for the trip to Blue Grotto etc is a good idea and you can explore other areas too eg Dingli Cliffs. Re Gozo would also consider hiring a car once you get there or if you feel confident hire in Malta, drive it onto the ferry that way you spend as much time as you like on Gozo. The salt pans on Gozo were great - we saw them when we went on a Jeep Safari tour a few yrs back. Enjoy Malta. Fenkata - I never saw it on any of the menus of places we went to. Ask the locals at Vittirosa/Birgu.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days Itinerary

just googled Fenkata and read that Mgarr in Malta (not Gozo) has the best rabbit food - one place suggested was United Bar & Restaurant (see Tripadvisor reviews) but apparently there are others. For some reason I mixed up Fenkata with something else & now realise its rabbit - anyway I did see rabbit on the menu at many places but as I said at the beginning apparent Mgarr (Malta) is where to go for good rabbit (inexpensive & locals).

10. Re: 7 days Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 20:19