We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Import tax on delivered goods

UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Import tax on delivered goods

Me and my wife are planning to move to Malta with my new employer and bring some household goods with us. I heard that customs fees are really high when it comes to your private belonging that are worth more than 430eur. Is it true? How can avoid these and prove that my belongings are for my private use and not for sale? I plan to ship my washing machine, a couch, fridge freezer, bicycle (worth £1,500), vacuum cleaner, and some other stuff via container. Is it true that if you show all receipts for these items you can ship them in easily and free of charge?

Thanks for all replies.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

Custom fees and Import tax are not the same thing .

Malta is part of the EU and I think ? that your personal items are not taxable if not new ????Shipping custom fees are another thing ?

Someone who has done this may help you more than a local like myself !!

If the container is going to cost you a lot of money , most of the items mentioned , except the bike , could be bought locally for a few hundred euro ???

Will try to research this subject as curious to know !

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

Check how much the customs duties are for the container to be cleared out of the dock and do not worry about your used items coming from the EU / UK !

Read

cc-advocates.com/immigration-law/taxation-of…

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

I moved my household goods from UK to Malta and certainly don't remember any import taxes. I used DOM - www.domtransportmalta.com - and they really were excellent and made the whole process of the shipping, customs and delivery 100% trouble free at what was quite a stressful time. Why not send them an email. I am sure they will explain everything.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 23:35
UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

Thanks for all your help. I will report once I arrive in Malta! :)

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

You will have nothing to pay, as long as you are shipping general household goods that have been used, NOT NEW you will have to sign a declaration form to that affect, no receipts are required. Use a recommended Removal company, as they will know a trusted and reliable Shipping Agent in Malta. Go for the door to door option if possible, and not door to port as “some” port handling Agents are notorious for overcharging, or making “mistakes” with your release bill, which could cost you hundreds of Euros for nothing, this is where a good Overseas Shipping Agent comes in. They will do all the paperwork, and let you know when your goods have arrived, and arrange a delivery time, with nothing extra to pay. Beware!! if you are shipping anything bulky, and the property is above ground level, you will need a lifter, (a small trailer with an extending motorised ladder & platform,parked in the road) you will require a licence to use this from the local council office, small charge, they will need date and time,otherwise you will get fined. If you go for the door to port option, and you are suspicious of the bill, ask for an itemised breakdown “they won’t or can’t,” only for them to say, it all got mixed up, you may even get a sorry, I didn’t (easy way to make money if you are not aware of this practice) you are now. Electrical items, tools,etc expensive in Malta, televisions double, so bear all this in mind. Hope you have a trouble free move, welcome to MALTA. KNOWKATS.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

GR8 Advice Knowkats !!

7. Re: Import tax on delivered goods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:20