We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveller

Save Topic
Solo Traveller

I'm going to Malta, Qawra to be precise, from May 1st for 1 week. I'm used to going on city breaks alone. But never a holiday like this. Might be a stupid question, but I'm not going to get bored am I? Or have any weird stuff happen? I'll be 30 and I am a boy if that makes any difference? :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveller

We are living in a mad and dangerous world, then there is Malta, one of the best and safest places for all people regardless for their age or gender, families, single or in a group. Everyone is safe and reports of incidents are extremely rare.

I am not quite sure what you mean by “have any weird stuff happen”. But I can almost assure you that, unless you ask for trouble, trouble won’t come to you. You are 30 old man, and thus you won’t need lecture on common sense and descent behaviour.

You won’t get bored in Qawra. You will find a lot of bars and restaurants. It have a lovely long promenade along its rocky beach, and few places on interest like Classic Car Museum. Qawra is also a popular haunt for the Brits.

If & when you get bored, get yourself a weekly bus pass and venture out further afield. Malta has awfully a lot to offer.

Perhaps, if describe you hobbies and interests, you may get more replies and information.

Cheers

Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveller

Hi, thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't too discriptive. Weird stuff was probably a bad choice of words. I went to Tenerife when I was 20 and it was not a nice, relaxing holiday. Prostitutes accosting you in the street, guys trying to sell you tat for vast amounts, being offered drugs, people fighting, police brutalilty beating the crap out of anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time. It put me off of beach holidays for a long, long time. I know Malta isn't Tenerife and these things probably won't happen, I was just wondering if I should expect anything or look out for anything.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveller

I have visited Malta as a solo tarveller (as many other people), many times. I have also been to Tenerife, the other canries islands, the spanish costas, and greek islands. Trust me, there is absoutly nothing that Malta has in common with these places in so far as your experience with them is concerned. In fact I can't even remember ever hearing a police car siren.

So there is nothing to look out for. The Maltese people are so friendly and laid back. There are no signs of prostitution or any obvious illegal activities. Nobody would approach or accost you. There are some people selling tours and cruise touting for business in the streets but they are not aggressive hard selling people. There are even some African refugees, like the ones you may have seen in Tenerife, selling fake goods, but again if you are not interested in buying they will leave you alone.

The one place, I would advice you to be careful of, is Paceville town at nightime especially in summer time. This town the main nightclub land in Malta, and tends to attract a lot of youngsters. Some do get drunk and inevitably get a bit rawdy. But nothing too alarming.

Hope this would give some assurance. So come and enjoy yourself, you should be safe anywhere and anytime of the day in Malta.

Cheers

Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveller

Hey, thanks. You've put my mind at rest. I'm just going to look forward to it now. :-)

Malta
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveller

Being a person who has lived here for all my life ( that is 27 years) I must say that Malta is one of the most safe places to live in. It can in fact get boring for us who live here! Hey..give us some action please! You'll enjoy it.. everyone speaks multiple languages, mostly english, italian and german apart fromour Maltese. There are a multitude of bars, good food and most people are helpful.

Paceville is our main party village...but given that you're thirty..don't go there before 00.30...otherwise you'll only find youngsters ;)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveller

Oh Meridua

You make me so jealous!!!!. Wish I was born Maltese.

Cas

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Traveller

Qawra adjoins Bugibba where there more bars and restaurants. You won't feel uncomfortable on your own.

Just one word of advice. Qawra and Bugibba are resorts . If you want to see any culture, imposing architecture, medieval towns etc just get a bus to Valletta or Mdina.

The Top Questions on the right should help you too

8. Re: Solo Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41