We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Maltese eating place

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Great Maltese eating place

I have just today returned from my three month stay in Malta. It was very enjoyable.

Whilst I was there I tried an eating place that I hadn`t used before although I believe it has been mentioned on this forum before.

Situated in the village of Zebbiegh it is called the MGARR FARMERS BAR.

The atmosphere is very good and the food is fantastic -- home made , delicious and inexpensive. The stuffed marrows and roast potatoes were excellent.

I highly recomend a visit to this restaurant.

Graham

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Maltese eating place

Welcome back graham hope you got over our meeting I had a drink with Anthony Arpa in Dublin last night he has returned to Malta today will let him bring me to the Farmer Bar on my next visit. Snow is forcasted for good old blighty this weekend.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Maltese eating place

Glad everything went well during your stay here. The weather is quite fine at the moment. Good luck as it seems you're going to have a few days of real wintery weather in the UK.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Maltese eating place

I am going to try this place out second week in feb, so i will post back with my report ;o)

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Maltese eating place

Hi Graham glad you liked it, we have been singing the praises of this place for a while now, did you have the house wine ? so are you converted now to qarabili mimli ?, it's always been my favourite.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Maltese eating place

Hi Siggiewi.

Yes . I have definately been converted to Qarabali mimli ---- delicious !!!

Didn`t try the house wine as I was doing the driving . Next time for sure .

Graham

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Maltese eating place

The domesticated rabbit is a rare food option for most Maltese providing an economical alternative to larger animals. Rabbit meat is typically available fresh or frozen.

Rabbit meat is well known for its high protein content. An 85g serving of rabbit meat contains 28 g of protein, more than beef or chicken. Rabbit is also a concentrated source of iron. The calories in rabbit meat are low. A serving contains only 147 calories. So it is no surprise that rabbit meat (Fenek) is the most popular dish in Malta. Locals eat it in many different ways but some of their favourite are rabbit stew with wine and herbs.

My wife cooks rabbit at least a dozen times in one month, but yesterday she took a one time off from cooking, as we decided to eat rabbit elsewhere. And what better place to choose if not at Mgarr Farmers Snack Bar in Mgarr.

After a few nibbles of Maltese bread & tomatoes plus a small pot of savoury cooked snails, we were each given a good share of rabbit pieces and chips. I have been to this place numerous times but yesterday's rabbit was excellent, tasty and well cooked. My rate is 10 out of 10.

We recommend this place to all lovers of good 'fenkata'. Believe us you'll feel like home away from home.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Maltese eating place

Prosit u grazzi Gorg minn il-belt.

8. Re: Great Maltese eating place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:19