We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip??

Day Trip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2017, 11:00
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip??

I often come to this forum to warn about the Sicily trip.

You will be picked up very early in the morning and taken to the ferry.

The journey over takes about ninety minutes if the weather is good but a lot longer if rough.

The trip over can be bumpy and sea sickness is common.

Once in Sicily you have 250 miles of coach trips with a few short stops.

Sometimes you don`t get to see Etna .

Another ferry ride back to Malta and a lift back to you hotel late in the evening.

A long hard day.

You would be better to fly from Malta to Sicily and spend a few days there.

There is lots to see and do in Malta.

Enjoy your stay.

Graham

2. Re: Day Trip??

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip??

Yes , Sicily can be quite expensive.

You can eat and drink a lot cheaper in Malta.

Have a day or two in Gozo while you are there --- it is different to mainland Malta --- greener and quieter.

Graham

4. Re: Day Trip??

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip??

You may be able to find a hotel on Gozo when you arrive in Malta.

The Malta Times newspaper often has advertisments for short hotel breaks including in Gozo.

As you proberbly know Gozo is a small island , only a few miles long and can be driven from end to end in about half an hour . At the moment there are a lot of road works that seem to be slowing things down somewhat.

Gozo is a very laid back quiet place so do not expect lots of lively entertainment. However if you want a relaxing extremely friendly place then Gozo fits the bill.

There are lots of delightfull local type restaurants , full of Gozitans where you can spend a nice evening over a meal in good company.

Graham

6. Re: Day Trip??

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip??

Have done the Mt Etna/Taoromino trip in a day....not a good idea with young children. You say you have over a month in Malta..so if you really wanted to go to Sicily take a flight over stay 4 nights in one spot (loved Taoromino) & do day trips, then fly back to Malta. Re Gozo..once again I suggest you stay a few days, there are some good sandy beaches for the children, I especially liked Hondoq (not sure of correct spelling)..lots of families there cos it catered for littlies & older children who love to dive off a jetty etc. If you want to rent a good quality apartment while in Gozo I wouldnt leave it till you got there esp in July (school holidays).

8. Re: Day Trip??

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip??

Have not in recent times stayed overnight on Gozo but if you click onto Malta Accommodation then it comes up Gozo Accom. click onto that then on your left should be hotels, b&B, others & Rentals click on rentals for private apartments many are old farmhouses with pools..looking thru there was one that had a minimum of 4 nights stay which sounded nice but totally booked out for July according to availability calendar. The owner of the 2 flats we stayed in Malta also had one in Xlendi (Gozo) but we didnt stay there here is the website www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p89824 but there are others thru that website if you just google www.holiday-rentals.co.uk then click onto Malta then Gozo. are you still staying in Sliema as well..Tigne Point if I recall.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip??

I should have checked that website before sending, but appears as the flat in Xlendi is booked out for July but I would still contact the owners & ask if they have others or at least recommend a place. Lots of hotels as well. I wouldnt worry too much were to stay as a car would be great to have esp with the children & Gozo is not that big.