We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBC TV Channels

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
BBC TV Channels

Please could anyone tell me what tv channels are usually available - we are staying in a farmhouse in Sannat & I know it has a tv as we were there last yr but I don't remember it having BBC channels.

I want to be able to watch the eventing at the Olympics which is one while we are on holiday.

Is it possible to access the bbc website from Malta as I think there will be a lot streamed.

Very sad I know to be wanting to watch it while on holiday but it is really only the cross country day I want to watch.

Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BBC TV Channels

Would it be best to put your question straight to the owners of the farmhouse? They will know which channels they pay for!

Enjoy your holiday.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BBC TV Channels

Hi there...

Generally in hotels/guesthouses ect only BBC World (news) would be available, some channels are known to be on some satellite broadcasters too, like Sky that is available in some bars ect..

As for streaming, ie: I Player, this is not available outside of the UK due to copyright reasons, if you are using certain browser tools that hides your IP address, then maybe ? you can see I Player, but not usually.

There is bound to be Olympic coverage on local Maltese cable/satellite channels.

Regards

Dave

Edited: 10 June 2012, 21:32
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BBC TV Channels

I have emailed but from memory it didn't have the BBC channels - trying to use a proxy server might be the best option.

Will have to find out how!

Hopefully there will be good coverage on local tv

Edited: 10 June 2012, 21:54
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BBC TV Channels

Considering the large number of english people that come to Malta and the use of english by many Maltese, I must admit that I am surprised at the lack of english speaking channels or programmes - even english speaking news channels are hard to come by is some hotels !

P-t-B

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BBC TV Channels

Apart from BBC 24 hours news channel, you won't get anything else.

You best hope, and I do hope there would be a good chnace, is that some Maltese TV Channel would dedictae its time to cover all the OLympic Games.

Failing that, then I am afraid, you will have to head to some bars or pubs with SKY sports.

Good luck

Cas

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BBC TV Channels

Hi juliap_10,

If the farmhouse you are staying at has the Melita cable service you will be able to receive BBC Entertainment which only shows older BBC programs(for example Eastenders about 2 months behind and Casualty about a year behind). It also features some Eurosport channels that may broadcast some of the games. I am sure that some of the Maltese and Italian channels that are on standard television will also show some of the Olympics.

Failing that, if you are bringing a laptop with you, log onto:

www.thefirstrow.eu sports network where you can see most sports for free.(I watched the PPV big fight on Sat night/Sun morning) The picture isn't brilliant, but better than nothing. You cab also get all the television channels with this website. But as has already been written, most bars have Sky Sports.

Have a good holiday.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 18:19
7. Re: BBC TV Channels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:41