We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone through europe

Melbourne
Level Contributor
93 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phone through europe

Hi All,

I'm off to Europe in a couple of weeks - first stop Athens! Will be travelling throughout central Europe for 7 weeks. I'm coming from Australia and am trying to work out how I can contact home. Should I bring my iphone & use an appp like viber/voxer? Should I buy a cheap prepaid phone when I arrive in Athens? Will the prepaid phone I buy in Athens work throughout the rest of Europe?

is there many places with free wifi in malta?

Has anyone got any information for me from personal experience? I don't want to come home after my trip with an expensive phone bill!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phone through europe

I think that providing the people you want to keep in touch with have Viber, Oovoo, Skype or your preferred mode of communication then your iPhone will be ideal. There are plenty of free wifi spots and you can always search for them.

I'm fairly sure that part of the franchise agreement for McDonalds worldwide is the provision of free wifi so there you go ... A milk shake and a phone call all in one place.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phone through europe

a VoiP service like the ones mentioned is a good way to go, though I find the call quality can be disappointing, especially if the wifi signal is poor or a lot of people are using the wifi hotspot, as as at McDonalds.

Hotels often provide free wifi as do many bars in Malta - you may need to get a code.

A phone bought in Athens should work throughout Europe, but the call costs will be expensive once you leave Greece. You will typically pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.

My friend always used a Sim4Travel when in Malta and call rates were good in many European countries. I gather they are now part of Tru

http://www.truphone.com/en-GB/

It may be worth getting one of their travel SIMs for your phone and they are available in Australia. Your phone will need to be unlocked for any network.

localanywhere.truphone.com/buy/default.aspx

Maybe use that for emergency contact and use a VioP app (including theirs or Skype etc.) for most outgoing calls

Remember to turn off the data roaming on your iPhone as data charges can be very high. Use wifi only for data.

3. Re: mobile phone through europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations