We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental Warning!

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Rental Warning!

We recently returned from 3 weeks in Malta and rented from Hertz.

We had no problems, whatsoever, during the trip and are very familiar with driving in Malta as we are Maltese citizens.

Almost three weeks since we returned and I received an e-mail this morning advising that I had a traffic contravention and would be charged plus an additional 25 euros to my credit card. The company did not provide any back up for their claim and I will assume has already charged my credit card.

I have asked for proof of the contravention but I fear this is a method of charging unsuspecting tourists of a little more money. If I get a response I will update.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

I have had this done to me twice. The first time I presumed that I must have done something so accepted the charge. When it happened the following time and I was as sure as I could be that I was innocent I asked for evidence. None was forthcoming so I contacted American Express (the card I used to book) and they refunded my account immediately. I was informed they would investigate themselves and if the evidence was provided then I would be re-billed. They gave Hertz 3 months to provide it and no evidence was provided. The year after that I rented from Budget Rentals and they tried exactly the same thing. They never provided evidence either and again Amex refunded the charge.

Test to see how good your card provider is with "unauthorised charges" made against you

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

Exactly what happened. I called visa and they confirmed that without proof of the infraction they would simply reverse the charge.

Looks like this is happening a lot to u suspecting touriss, especially those they think may be intimidated by the driving. Despite my Canadian driver's license I know better.

For those looking for rental cars in Malta there are seem recommendations on other threads of reliable and reasonable companies.

Malta
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

Dear Canada Xxxxxx,

please feel free to advise your rental agreement and name and I will send you all information regarding your contravention, here, or on your personal e-mail.

Please find my e-mail and contact number should you wish to contact me personally. I kindly ask you to forward the e-mail requesting details which was not answered.

Veruschka DeBono

Sales and Operations Manager

Hertz Malta

00356 21314 636

vdebono@hertz.com.mt

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

Hello and thank you for your response. I have reviewed the e-mail received from your company and it does not include a contract number. I am at my office and don't have the contract here.

I will forward you the e-mail from your agent and you can see if you can determine the origin.

What I do want to point out is the impression that Hertz in Malta is giving when people from foreign countries are charged outlandish fees for made up traffic contraventions. Tourists will determine that the Maltese people or just Hertz employees are dishonest and stop using your company for their rental needs.

I, on the other hand, was born in Malta and know exactly what constitutes a traffic contravention. I am also unwilling to pay for a fabricated charge for any reason. Not only will I find another rental company but I will use forums such as Trip Advisor and let people know what has happened.

Malta
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

I have received your e-mail and will reply shortly with the details.

We understand these forums are important, in fact we monitor them, because listening to our customers can only help us improve.

BUT

It is important that, all the information given here, is correct. I am in fact attaching the standard e-mail we send to everyone , the same one we sent to your kind self as a reference.

There is a contact e-mail address (for queries and clarifications)and anyone who contacts us receives a reply within 7 working days. The terms and conditions of rental (on our website and given to you again with the rental agreement) regarding citations specify that if we process the citations we will charge a fee, you can also pay them yourself at our counter since a citation is left on your windscreen. This is practiced by all car rental companies in Malta (and the world) and it is mainly due to the fact that resources are involved in processing these fees.

The e-mail is attached here under for reference:

We hope you have enjoyed your stay here in Malta and that we have contributed in making your experience more enjoyable.

I regret to inform you that during your rental period you were given a traffic contravention.

In addition to this, as per our Terms and Conditions, we have also charged you a EURO 25.00 administration fee.

The above charges shall be drawn from your credit card using the information you gave Hertz prior to your rental.

Please do not reply to this email.

Should you require any clarifications please contact us on reservations@hertz.com.mt

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

As I have mentioned repeatedly, there was no citation left on my windscreen and all I have asked for is a copy of the alleged infraction. That should be easy and would deal with my issue. The fact is that when I requested the specific information (twice, in fact) you didn't reply. That indicates you may not be acting in good faith.

I will review any further documentation you send me and compare it to my contract. I will also continue to advise other travelers if I encounter companies that are fantastic but also those that are not.

Malta
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

We have sent you all the information at 14.08 today as requested.

You are right you had no citation because it was a different kind of infringement.

I have asked you to forward your e-mails requesting the information, however you only sent us back what we sent you.

As a rule and this might help other travelers as well, please allow 7-10 working days from query for the rental company to send you all relevant information.

I sincerely hope that the information we sent you is sufficient and in order, but please feel free to let us know if you have any further queries

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

Well, I needed to rent a car for 4 weeks :D guess I now know who not to go with.

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

So it appears I was travelling 12 km over the speed limit. The issue that I have, given that it may be legitimate is that Hertz sent an incredibly vague e-mail advising of a contravention. They did not indicate what I had done, when, where or even the amount of the fine. I now have a blurry photo (that is not legible) and a link to a website that confirms a ticket was issued.

I am happy (well maybe not happy) to pay for traffic violations but to be given no information is frustrating. If it is the policy of Hertz to be high handed and vague I think you can do better for a car rental. There are several car rental companies in Malta with very good reviews. I certainly wouldn't say don't use Hertz at all but more that they should consider improving their systems when it comes to dealing with customers, especially since their current methods make it appear as though they are acting in bad faith.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Car Rental Warning!

After all the e mails, all they can provide you with is a blurry picture of 'your'car saying that you were speeding. Stinks of a con to me.

Vote with your cash folks and use someone else for your transport on malta.