We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My opinion on Arriva bus service.......for the disabled.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
My opinion on Arriva bus service.......for the disabled.

We used the buses during our six day visit. Firstly the buses were easy to use and you could access all areas of the island. Secondly, tickets are cheap and the 12 euro weekly ticket is excellent value.

Now for the bad....buses were crowded and after using them on the first day I knew that if I wanted to see any of the island it would be impractical of me to use my wheelchair. We would have been unable to get on the buses as they were to full to take my chair. Despite having reduced mobility and using a stick I had to stand on many journeys. Seats were clearly marked as having priority for disabled passengers but this was never enforced and there was no way anyone on those buses was going to give up their seats for ANYONE!

The service at Cirkewwa was appalling. Buses would arrive and people would run to shove on first. Drivers didn't know where they were going and would remain parked up waiting for their supervisors to tell them where to go. It was a farce!

I also found the supervisors at Cirkewwa and Bugibba bus station to be very rude. You would approach them with a question and would be either totally ignored or have a reply barked at you.

I felt so sorry for the Maltese people using the service as they were often pushed aside by young holiday makers who wanted to get on the bus first. Obviously queuing is a dying art!

I did find the drivers on the buses to be helpful in regard to supplying information about which routes to take,etc.

In my opinion Arriva need to tighten up these few areas and they would have a great and accessible bus service.At the moment it is not geared towards accessibility for the disabled.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My opinion on Arriva bus service.......for the disabled.

It's a shame you had that experience. I can't comment on the supervisors at Cirkewwa and Bugibba but I've always found those at Valletta to be helpful and polite (and it gets very busy there). I'm afraid queing isn't a dying art as there's never been much adherence to the concept by locals or tourists. I think the tourists find out pretty quickly that if they queue they'll just get left out in the rush. There should be more respect for people with reduced mobility though. The old buses were completely not user friendly for disabled users and now that there are buses that are suitable the people need to be educated.

2. Re: My opinion on Arriva bus service.......for the disabled.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 10:16