We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice areas to eat & wonder

Manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Nice areas to eat & wonder

Hi. I'm staying at the raddison with my partner and two small children, 1 & 3. Can anyone recommend any areas that we can visit to eat and have a gentle stroll? The nearest commercial area is paceville which is a bit nasty to be honest, would have been ok without the kids!

I assumed there would be a bay area with lots of nice restaurants etc. Admittedly this is only our second evening and we've not ventured far..... yet.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Well done, penfold - you will be 10 metres from Sliema! Bus 30 metres outside on left towards St. Julian's, Mellieha etc, cross road to right 30 metres bus to Valletta. Day ticket e2.60, any bus/as many buses, all day. Tip for you, if you want to use the Valletta Ferry, get the bus to Valletta then walk down the hill to the ferry for the return journey. In your limited time scale you might want to get the HoHo one day for a good overview. IMO North tour is better for starters. You can do Valletta (and my favourite, Vittoriosa - mornings are best) under your own steam. They start from the Ferries (600 metres to your left), look out for offers, they were giving a free harbour cruise (well worth it, especially for a sunday afternoon) when I was there 2 weeks ago.

ENJOY!

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Hi Sean were you reading your compass upside down side to side or was your vision affected by cisk ?, if you look at the map you will see that both Birgu and Valletta are most deffinitely not in the North.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

I agree! That's why I said do Valletta and Vittoriosa under their own steam, that is, NOT on the north HoHo tour! The north HoHo tour is good for Mdina, Mosta etc. I know my brain is addled from too much Maltese sun, but I have not quite lost it all!

winsford
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

I find a nice place to eat is at the ta'xbix water polo club splendid views whilst you relax.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Once again thanks Sean for the advice. You have just outlined two days that i have planned (Ferry to Valletta and spend the day taking in some of the sights and attractions and also the tour of the North).

I hope to see enough of the island on this brief trip to enable me to make a rounded judgement on where to visit and stay WHEN I return.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Ok Sean I was starting to worry that the Cisk XXX was catching up with you it's easilly done you know.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Siggiewi don't you think that Testaferrata Street area of Gzira used to be rather seedy but walking along the Promenade is pleasant and poses no dangers. Lots of Maltese families frequent it.

The Avenue restaurant in the Hilton area of Paceville is extremely popular with local families , there are also the restaurants round Spinola Bay which are popular with families. If you walk down Spinola Hill you can stroll along the Promenade and there are popular restaurants just where the sign says you've reached Sliema.

A bit further along there are two good children's play grounds.

You could also get a bus to Qui si sana area of Sliema where there is a large and well equipped landscaped playground. It's near the Ferries which is the commercial hub of Sliema.

Your Receptionist should be able to advise you what bus to take and from where. There should also be a courtesy bus.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

I think Gzira has been given a bad name. Testaferrata Street is just as Graham described it, but a tourist staying along the Gzira Promenade wouldn't be venturing anywhere near it. The back roads of Gzira behind the Promenade are not seedy or run down . It'sj ust not an up market town by any imagination . But the Promenade has become very popular with all ages. You've got a very pleasant walk by the sea and on the other side of the road there are lots of bars/restaurants and hotels. You can go out in the evenings with nothing to worry about.

Mrs Penfold has absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

What I would call seedy are the streets at the very bottom of Valletta (again not an area tourists visit).

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Penfold you should take a Harbour Cruise = there are many to choose from. From Valletta Marsamxetto you can get a ferry boat back to Sliema.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Nice areas to eat & wonder

Many thanks for your replies hat776. I'm quite re-assured now that our location will be fine and looking forward to the trip. We are traveling in March, so hopefully get a couple of decent dry days to let us have a harbour cruise or taxi boat over to Valletta. Hopefully this will be our first of many trips to Malta.