We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
161 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Hello. We are arriving in Malta by way of cruise ship in mid-October. I would say, in general, we are more interested in charming looking towns and villages and scenery, than museums and crumbling ruins. We especially like old, well-preserved towns, interesting markets, etc. Any recommendations on how to spend one day in Malta would be greatly appreciated.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Do Mdina and Rabat in the morning and if you get bored , get back to Valletta before heading for the waterfront near the boat !

Welcome to Malta

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Valletta

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Agree with 643. Go to Mdina/Rabat first then head back to Valletta so that you are near to cruise ship for departure I like Marsaxlokk but what you see re market will depend on day you arrive in Malta. Enjoy your cruise and day on the island.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Marsaxlokk is pretty(ish) but not worth taking out three hours to get there and back and spend a little time there. 643 is right - go to Mdina in the morning - you can get a bus directly back to Valletta for the afternoon and see the sights there. I understand what you mean about museums, but Mdina is magical (you don't have to do the museums!) and like wise Valletta, go to Upper Barracca Gardens to see the harbour, St. John's Co-Cathedral inside is a must, short walk to Palace Square and sit outside at one of the cafes. Short walk back to your ship.

Level Contributor
114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Just out of interest - does it really take an hour and a half to drive from Valletta to Marsaxlokk? We are planning on a day trip to Malta from Gozo next year I thought it would take about an hour from Cirkewwa. Have I underestimated this?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

No it doesn't - sean said that a visit there would take 3 hours IN TOTAL including travelling time. The journey is just over 30 minutes, depending on whether you are using bus or car.

Cirkewwa takes about an hour by car, but allow 90 minutes by bus.

Phil-the-Bus

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Mooglove

Think you have underestimated!! It is a small island but you are going from top to the bottom, north to south, of the island. Would take no more than 1/2 hour from Valletta to Marsaxlokk if you know your way and have clear directions but it is well signposted. From Cirkewwa (gozo ferry) I would say about 1 1/2 hours. Its at least an 1 hour drive from Luqa airport to the ferry so add on to Marsaxlokk from that.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 17:35
Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Timewise I agree with post 7, but if I were you sojourner7, I would spend the full day in Valletta - more than enough to occupy you for the 6 hours or so that you will be away from the ship.

cornwall uk
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

Mdina, in the morning, back to Valleta for the afternoon. plenty of time to walk around the silent city, and get back for a afternoon in the capital.

Level Contributor
114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Malta -- Valletta, Marsaxlokk or Mdina?

I'm glad I asked - I've never driven in Malta itself, just Gozo, so it's good to be prepared!

For the op (sorry for derailing your thread slightly before!), I would agree with Mitchcornwall for Mdina in the morning and Valletta in the afternoon. But I also with Shembo - Valletta has a lot going on and you can easily spend a whole day there (we have, twice). Have a look at some of the guides and plan ahead, that way you will maximise your time there.