We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta on rollerblades???

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malta on rollerblades???

Hello,

I am heading to Malta next week and was thinking of taking my rollerblades. Can anyone who's been there advise me if there are smooth pavements, or nice wide roads along the beach for rollerblading?

I will have hotel in St Paul's Bay near Bugibba, but planning to visit many places around

Any advice will help.

Thank you :)

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

I would not bother bringing your rollerbades as the pavements are uneaven and although the roads are good, there are still potholes and the roads are narrow, also a lot to be said for Maltese driving!

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

I expect that it would be possible to rollerblade along the newly (well newishly) constructed promonades of Bugibba, St Julians, Sliema etc, but generally the pavements in Malta are a total mess - uneven/narrow/non-existant/fullof potholes and inadequate repair jobs etc, in other words a complete minefield.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

Thank you both very much for your responses.

It looks like I would leave my rollerblades at home then.

Cheers,

Andrea

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

I am not sure if your insurance company wouldn't class roller blading as a hazardous pursuit, especially in Malta!!!!

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

SeanB87

Surely anything in Malta is a hazardous pursuit?

Macl1uk

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

Hehehee - you haven't been going out with Siggiewi again, have you? (Sorry Sigg!)

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

Would not recommend at all. The block paved footpaths around Bugibba/Qawra, where you write you are staying, have been laid some 14+ years and in places are no longer even. The wee local Maltese children on their little scooters frequently fall off because they have got stuck on an uneven part. Plus, in parts, the footpaths are narrow so not easy to pass people even at walking pace let alone on roller blades. I would not think worth the hassle of carrying roller blades to Malta.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

The only place that might be good for it is the seafront promenade. I get on in Sliema and you can walk it (or run it) for miles into the different towns. Frankly not sure how'd they'd react to rollerbladers on it, you don't see a lot of Maltese on bikes, but I see runners on here a lot. I'd just leave them home and let running or walking be your exercise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

Certainly Not

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta on rollerblades???

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I have decided to leave them behind. Will certainly check out the promenade by Sliema.

Thank you for the tip :)