We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Malata

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Malata

Hi,

I'm about to visit Malta soon, and I was wondering about a car hire.

I'm used to driving on the right side of the road and a little concern about driving on the left side.

Can anyone share some experience about driving in Malta?

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Malata

Having driven in the USA, I find driving on the opposite side of the road easy.

Malta is small, so even if you get lost it will not be long before you have covered the whole island. Because of the roads no one goes very fast, the roads themselves are not that bad, but the dual carriageways are few and do not last for long, the roads are winding all over the place.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Malata

I dont think its as easy as that. If you are not used to driving in Malta and you drive on the left it can be challaging for a bigginer. Let alone someone used to driving on the right, then driving in a car with the wheel on the other side and driving on the left.

You will have to have your witts about you on round abouts and junctions etc. As Maltese drivers are not as disaplined as they should be, but are much much better than they were and you will be confused by the roads, driving on the other side and finding your way.

You will be ok, but you need to go prepared and know what you are getting in too.

Driving on the other side in America with their big roads and disapline can not really compare with Malta in any way shape or forum.

Edited: 28 September 2012, 18:49
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Malata

If you're experienced and confident you should adjust OK. Just take it easy. Roundabouts will be your main concern for 2 reasons. Firstly when entering a roundabout your instinct will be to look to the left for traffic already on the roundabout whereas the trafic will be coming from your right. Secondly not all drivers in Malta give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Many just drive straight onto them so beware. I've had a couple of near misses myself and seen the aftermath of a few bumps on roundabouts.

It would be a sahame to limit what you can do by not hiring a car.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Malata

Hi Daniel K,

Just keep an eye out for the dreaded bus drivers who are a combination of 'Hearse' drivers and 'Formula 1' drivers.

Have a good holiday.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Malata

See---- top questions on the right, Car Hire and Rules of the Road, safe driving, KNOWKATS.

new zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Malata

Going to Malta next week, is hiring a GPS system worth while, as the roads dont appear to be in english?? Please advise any help appreciated.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Malata

There is limited road signing in Malta and some locals do indeed drive erratically. Having lived here for 5 years, my golden rule is don't assume anything. Indicators are frequently not used and local driving can border on the super fast, with lots of undertaking where possible, or the ultra slow with last minute manoeuvres. Study a normal map of the island for a while before you set off and understand the location of the main settlements and towns, that is the best starting point.

I have always hired cars here over the last 30 years and never had a major problem.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Malata

Fejn hu Malata ?.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Malata

Go for it - you will enjoy- no problems.

10. Re: Driving in Malata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:17