We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time

manchester
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
first time

can anyone recomend a hotel to stay at next year, we have never been before, it will be a party of 8 adults,either b&b or allinclusive

with sea views or close to beach, and some night life and shops

thanks

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time

Depends on your budget really but we've stayed in 2 hotels with sea views that I would recommend they are the Raddison Blu and the Juliani in St Julians. The latter is a boutique hotel and not all of their rooms have sea views so be careful.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time

May I suggest that you look at Bugibba and Qawra, here there is plenty of nightlife, restaurants and a good selection of hotels, yet you are only a short bus ride away from Mellieha Bay the biggest sandy beach in Malta or Golden Bay which again is a lovely sandy beach. I know that St George’s Bay near St Julian’s is a small man made sandy beach, but it does get very crowded.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time

You say you want sea views OR close to a beach and some nightlife. The St Julians hotels I mentioned above have sea views and proximity to night life but I agree with Mac that St George's Bay scores low on the sandy beach front.

On the other hand Melieha scores high on the sandy beach font. Again I agree with Mac that Golden Bay is lovely and Rivierra Bay (I think that's the name of the beach right next to Golden Bay) looks even better but it's a long climb down steps to get to (and you've got to come back up them). St.George's Bay's too close to the main road and too narrow for my liking. Melieha Beach is similar but they are both very popular.

Y

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time

Vince022011

I have never been to other bays near Golden Bay (which by the way is my favourite), but according to the maps I have just below Golden Bay is Ghajn Tuffieha Bay and appears to be bigger than Golden Bay. As locals tell me that there is not much down there and as you say there is a long climb down and back up again. Then next to Ghajn Tuffieha Bay there is Gnejna Bay, but no Riviera Bay.

Whereas Golden Bay can be reached easily from either the car park by Agliolio or the one opposite Apple’s Eye. I like it that the Radisson which is perched on top of the cliff overlooking Golden Bay even has 2 internal lifts that takes guests from pool level or level 1 in the hotel all the way down to beach level.

Macl1uk

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time

Hi Mac

I think I'm thinking of Ghajn Tuffieha then but I'm pretty sure there are local signs saying "Riviera Bay" pointing to the same place. It's not unusual for some places to have 2 or more names. We looked at it from above and there is quite a long staircase to access it. There is a building down there but I don't know what that is. If you're fit, fancy a bit of an expedition and want a large expanse of secluded golden sandy beach almost to yourself then it's the place for you but take provisions, shade and sunscreen. Most people probably wouldn't think it was worth the trouble but I'd give it a bash (so long as I had my oxygen bottle for the climb back up)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: first time

Chaps - Ghajn Tuffieha IS THE SAME as Golden Bay, and next door is the smaller more remote Gnejna. Ghadira IS THE MALTESE NAME for Mellieha Bay.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time

Thanks Sean. That's where the turtle eggs were. Any idea whether they hatched in the end. I know they moved them

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time

SeanB87

Ghajn Tuffieha Bay is the next bay round from Golden Bay, the two bays are clearly different as I have seen sign posts for both, also marked as seperate bays on several maps that I have, as well as locals have also been to Golden Bay and told me the next bay is Ghajn Tuffieha Bay.

Just looked at Google Earth and the Radisson is on Golden Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha Bay is marked as the next bay, so I am sorry but you are mistaken.

It is possible that Ghajn Tuffieha Bay and Riveria Bay are one and the same.

Macl1uk

Edited: 07 October 2012, 16:28
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time

Golden Bay area with Ghajn Tuffieha Bay marked as A, click on A and you will see the address

maps.google.co.uk/maps…

Edited: 07 October 2012, 16:36
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: first time

I wouldn't always trust Google but I take your point, I was looking at the larger area, which includes both Golden Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha. To compound the confusion, here is what one guide book says

"The Ghajn Tuffieha terminus is in the Golden Bay Car Park."