We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Duns, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Early retired couple looking to visit Malta possibly Spring 2013. Suggestions please for resort and hotel (mid to top range), SC Accommodation or Villa. Planning on hiring a car and beach location not top of our list however scenery and history are. Thanks

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

If by "scenery" you mean landscape scenery rather than architectural scenery or coastal scenery then I personally can't think of hotels which give you that kind of view. Other people might. There are many hotels with sea views though.

Another issue you might have is that the bulk of hotels are in the tourist hotspots of St Julians/Sliema and St Paul's Bay/Qawra/Bugiba. As modern tourist resorts these places are of limited interest to those who want to stay in a place of historic interest.

The places of most historic interest are Mdina, Valletta and the Three Cities. I don't believe there are any hotels in Mdina. There are good quality hotels in Valletta but I will leave others to comment on them. There is a boutique hotel called the Palazzo opening in December in Vittoriosa (one of the Three Cities) which might be of interest (www.palazzovittoriosa.com)

There is a lot of choice of self catering in Valletta and the Three Cities including some old town houses. Search TA under holiday rentals for a list.

Of course the island is small enough to stay in an area where you have a good choice of hotels but travel to the sites of historic interest. Nowhere on the island is much more than an hour away from anywhere else on the island.

I suppose you might want to prioritise either the type of accommodation or the location as your main criterion.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Cath. I echo Vince's words. As you plan on hiring a car it may be best to stay in one area then drive to the historical places. If you have not already done so have a read of the top questions about Malta, FAQ - where should I stay while in Malta? on the right of your opening post. There are some good hotels in Sliema which overlook the bay and Valletta. Do come back to us with more questions as you will get advice and answers.

Edited: 14 October 2012, 15:57
Duns, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Thanks for your reply. Will check out the hotel you suggest. My husband's uncle was in the RAF and often spoke of Malta, hence our interest. We are not beach people and do not need to have a pool or spa. Sea views would be great but not essential. We like our comforts but usually go for small boutique hotels.

Duns, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Many thanks for your reply. Will take your advice and check out past forum Q & A's

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Given your family's military history you might be aware of the connections that Valletta and the Three Cities have with WW2. Grand Harbour was a key British Navy base and as such the area was heavily bombed. The Three Cities suffered particularly badly. If that's a period of history you are particularly interested in then that area might have special resonance for you. On that subject the Malta at War museum is in Vittoriosa and should be worth a visit. If you do stay at the Palazzo do please post your experience.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

you may check out the Xara Palace

Wonderful place but comes at a price

Enjoy

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

You could also look at the hotel Juliani in St Julian's which is a nice 4 Star boutique style hotel worthy of its excellent reviews. St Julian's neighbours Sliema and has good connections to Valletta and other parts of the island. There are also some excellent restaurants in the near vicinity.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

You may also wish to consider the Ponte de Vue in Rabat literally a minutes walk from the City Gate of Mdina, it has very strong WW2 RAF links as it was used as a billet by many pilots, very sadly 6 RAF Officers were killed in the hotel by a direct hit in March 1942, you can still see the shrapnel damage in the stone door frame and walls as you enter the main building beyond the main entrance.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

Siggiewie that sounds quite intriguing I may need to check it out on my next visit. I wasn't aware that there was an hotel in Rabat since this would be a perfect venue for an history loving couple.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions please for resort and hotel in Malta for couple

this is why i love TA..learn something new each day. I also never knew about this place in Rabat/Mdina nor that one can get a ferry from lascaris to Cospicua even though have got the Sliema/Valletta ferry numerous times. Never saw it advertised re the other ferry route.