We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

A comment made in another thread has alerted me to the fact that due to the large number of cruse liners wishing to dock in Valletta, some are having to use an additional berth on the opposite side of the harbour at Senglea Point.

Despite having visited Malta several times, I have never seen this in use, but I am concious that all the advice we have been giving to Cruise Liner questions is based on the assumption that their ship will dock on the Valletta side of the harbour.

Does anybody know how much use the Senglea cruise liner dock gets and what transport arrangements are made to get people to/from Valletta ? Unfortunately I suspect that the the normal Senglea bus terminus is a considerable walk from the entrance to the dock and waling from Valletta is unlikely to be a realistic option.

Phil-the-Bus

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

I'm not sure it's getting used that much just now although there have been some ships berthing there. The final round of public consultation related to the change of use of Boiler Wharf (where the ships will dock) closed a couple of weeks ago so the whole idea is pretty new.

There are plans to widen the road on Senglea waterfront to allow for the envisaged increase in coach traffic and the local expectation is that coaches will be provided to ship passengers out.

The bus terminus in Senglea isn't far from Boiler Wharf but it is up some pretty steep steps (not as bad as the way in to Valletta through Victory Gate) and getting there will take 5 - 10 minutes on foot. The number 1 leaves every 20 minutes Mon to Sat if I remember correctly.

It's probably a good idea to check with cruisers if they know where they will be docking and alert them to the possibility it might be Boiler Wharf. What it will add to the journey to Mdina shouldn't interfere with the typical suggestion of a morning there and an afternoon in Valletta although it does make a morning in the Three Cities also realistic.

I'm happy to post updates to this thread as and when I learn more

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

I'm not sure it's getting used that much just now although there have been some ships berthing there. The final round of public consultation related to the change of use of Boiler Wharf (where the ships will dock) closed a couple of weeks ago so the whole idea is pretty new.

There are plans to widen the road on Senglea waterfront to allow for the envisaged increase in coach traffic and the local expectation is that coaches will be provided to ship passengers out.

The bus terminus in Senglea isn't far from Boiler Wharf but it is up some pretty steep steps (not as bad as the way in to Valletta through Victory Gate) and getting there will take 5 - 10 minutes on foot. The number 1 leaves every 20 minutes Mon to Sat if I remember correctly.

It's probably a good idea to check with cruisers if they know where they will be docking and alert them to the possibility it might be Boiler Wharf. What it will add to the journey to Mdina shouldn't interfere with the typical suggestion of a morning there and an afternoon in Valletta although it does make a morning in the Three Cities also realistic.

I'm happy to post updates to this thread as and when I learn more

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

The first time I became aware of cruise liners berthing at Senglea point was about May of this year when on a water taxi going to Valletta waterfront from Vittoriosa we encountered another water taxi drifting in Grand Habour - it had, would you believe, run out of fuel. On board the drifter were two people returning to their cruise ship from the waterfront - we picked up the passengers, returned them to the landing point at senglea (right at the side of the ship), picked up four other passengers from the same landing stage and proceeded to the waterfront to drop us all off - the taxi then shot off with some fuel for the drifter - quite an amusing experience. Don't know how the drifter would have coped should another large ship have approached in the meantime.

Have since noticed in the region of a further six or so ships docking at Senglea - there could easily have been more, but I'm not aways in a position to observe. I'm not sure if this is an overflow situation, or whether certain cruise lines are allocated this berth.

I suspect that coaches are used to 'ferry' the passengers to Valletta - however I also suspect that a future alternative would be for the ships own launches to ferry the passengers as they do when unable to dock at certain ports af call and are at anchor offshore.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

I read somewhere that the authorities were planning on having regular Water Taxis to ferry passengers across the Harbour. And of course the ships could use the tender system.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

Hat - I think Vince has covered this point admirably in the past.

6. Re: Cruise Liner Overflow Dock at Senglea Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:15