We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Hi all

Just a quick report. The new road to Cirkewwa (and thus the Gozo ferry) across Marfa from Mellieha is fully open in both directions now, so no more bus detours etc., or bumpy rides. It’s actually quite impressive and dual carriageway for much of the distance. The roadworks on Gozo from Mgarr to Rabat (Victoria) are fully complete and again a very impressive piece of work. There are also wide fully concreted pavements which makes walking to Rabat a doddle, which I did there and back on Monday.

The new ferry terminal at Cirkewwa is open (about a week ago) although it doesn’t officially open for a while yet. The passenger bridge to the boats is still being finished off so it’s still a walk through the car deck onto the boat. The new bus terminus at Cirkewwa is fully complete too and much simpler for people arriving off the ferry, as there are just two bus stops for picking up.

And what about that lift? The structure looks great from the bottom and the top. Apparently at present it’s free to travel down, but you pay the 1 euro fare for coming up. It’s a very smooth ride and on Sunday morning I made two trips down and one trip back up, that one I paid for. The ticket machine is quite confusing however, but there’s an attendant on hand to help. It does take quite a while for the barcoded and dated ticket to print and you have to scan the ticket on the gate for it to open. I sense long queues come later in the year, or that the system will get abandoned and people will just pay the attendant, we shall see. The ride in the lift facing Grand Harbour is by far the best. The cars are pretty small; I wouldn’t want to be in one with more than about half a dozen others, on Sunday I went up and down on my own, it was very quiet.

Hope this info has been of some help.

Ntd

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

I made the day trip to Gozo on Monday and was very impressed with the terminal, ferry etc etc - I didn't realise the terminal was so new, though, am I correct in thinking it's literally just opened?

Regards, Colin.

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Hi Colin

The nice lady who sold me the return ticket said that it had opened just a week ago, but wasn't being officially opened until the bridge was finished and there was something about an election too. I think she said the ribbon cutting would be in March sometime.

Ntd

Edited: 16 January 2013, 13:39
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Thanks for the reply. The place had a new feel about it and the guys were working hard with their drills etc but I didn't realise just how new it was! sitting in a wet, cold Belfast it seems longer ago than just two days! Colin.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

that lift, had a bike out on saturday, didnt need to leave it back till after breaky on sun, took a spin round valletta,stopped at the lift, about 8 am, decided to walk up, - 280 steps, not too bad, it was worse walking down as I got dizzy going round and round and down!

back on the bike and off to rocco neptuno for a well deserved breaky

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Hi Boutye

Yes, I noticed the spiralling stairs and was tempted to go down them, but got cold feet expecting the exit to be blocked or something forcing me to retrace my steps, but upwards this time.

I wonder how long it will be until someone tries to take a goat in one of those lifts.

Ntd

6. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:44
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Ntd - there haven't been goats in Valletta for many decades so the chances are remote.

In case any one is interested - in the olden days farmers used to go to the towns with a number of goats. People would get their jugs and the farmer would milk the goats and fill their jugs.

In those days Brucellosis or undulant fever was highly prelevant in Malta. In fact it was often called Malta Fever. In 1905 a Maltese doctor identified unpasteurized milk as the major source of infection. It was then that people were told to boil milk before use and when the first Pasturisation plant was built it became illegal to buy or sell raw milk.

And that is why we no longer see goats in towns !!!!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Another quaint fact about goats...you will see attached to many front doors in malta a metal gate about 2ft 6" high. The original purpose of these gates was to allow people to leave their doors open but to prevent the goats from getting in.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Vince your post shows how times have, unfortunately, changed.

I remember the days when no one locked their front door - i doubt whether there is any one nowadays who does that. Then in the hot days they'd leave the door open hoping for a breeze............but not wanting any goat to wander in.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roads, ferries & THAT lift......

Hi Hat

Times have changed everywhere I'm afraid.

Get answers to your questions about Malta