We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in October with a 13 year old

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malta in October with a 13 year old

I am planning a week long visit to Malta with my 13 year old daughter in October. I would appreciate your advice on best areas to stay. We would like to do some sightseeing and possibly chill on the beach. I am not sure about hiring a car - prefer not to. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Sliema I think would be good. No beach as such but has good rocks for sunbathing, with sea access. St. Julians is another food one-week option and you could walk to the manmade beach at St. George's Bay. Weather in October can be variable so having a hotel with a nice pool area would be as good a bet as any.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

We were in Malta with 2 15 year old girls last October. We took them to Golden Bay which they enjoyed. I think that or Mellieha Bay would be a better experience. There's only one hotel at Golden Bay (Radison Blu) but there's more life around Mellieha Bay. St George's Bay beach is small and very overlooked although of all the sandy beach options it is in the busiest area. Even though you'd rather not rent a car it might give you more flexibility to stay around Sliema/St Julians but visit the beaches in Melieha. Alternatively the bus service is very good. The only other thing to bear in mind if you're going in October is that it can get windy.

Sightseeingwise there's plenty to see. The islands are steeped in history and some of the coastal landscapes are breathtaking. If you give us a clue about the kind of things you might be particularly interested in seeing we'll be able to point you in the right direction

Edited: 24 January 2013, 12:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Thank you very much for the useful suggestions. I shall look into these areas in the next few days. I would be very interested in seeing all the historical sites, museums, galleries etc. A good hotel with a pool will be desirable as I shall use this break as a 'beach holiday' also. Many thanks once again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Cartey,

I hope you find the following info useful:

WEATHER

The weather in October should be lovely and warm with some odd hot days still lingering on from peak hot months of August and September. You should definitely come back home a very good sun tan.

RESORTS

BUGGIBA/QAWAR/ST PAUL

This is a very popular region with the Brits. It is like home from home. By that I mean there are many bars and restaurants that are run by ex Brits. Along the Tourist Street you will come across endless of such bars and restaurant. Most would have nightly entertainment.

The beach is rocky, apart from a small man made sandy section, which tends to fill up quick with sun bathers. But the sea is lovely.

No historical sight of any significance. But there is the classic car museum

The town also has a main bus station where you can get a bus anywhere in Malta.

MELLIEHA

This town is further up north, and it knows for its beautiful beach which is the best in Malta. The town is much quieter than other towns, and night time is very much confined to the few bars and restaurants along the main street Oliver Borg.

Nearby there is Popeye Village which is a theme park geared towards family with young kids.

Mellieha is also a gateway to Comino Island and Gozo. For Comino there are boats from the Jetty on the bay right in front the Mexican Restaurant on the beach. It takes to 45 minutes to get Comino and its beautiful blue Lagoon. For Gozo, there are buses to nearby Cirkewwa for the ferry across to Gozo

GOLDEN BAY

Second best sandy beach is a remote area, where is just one hotel, a beach restaurant and nothing much else. But the beach is beautiful.

VALLETTA/SLIEMA:

These are two large bustling places. Plenty to do and see. Ideal for sightseeing, dining out and shopping. Valletta is full of historic places and museum. The nearby there are the three old cities especially Birgu and Isla where the Great Siege was fought and won by the Maltese people

PACEVILLE/ ST JULIAN

Nightclubs and music. Full of teenagers and young people out clubbing particularly at night time

RABAT, MOSTA, M'DINA AND MARXSALOKK

Rabat and M’Dina are typical Maltese towns with true Maltese character. In Mosta there is the great Dome which worthy of minute of the day to marvel at. Marxsalokk is a very colourful traditional fishing village.

A FINAL RECOMMENDATION:

To make the most of Malta I would advise a 7 day bus pass which cost 12 euros. With that you will have the freedom to use any bus to anywhere and at anytime till 11:pm and as many time as you like within the 7 days. Malta is a small country and the average journey time by bus from town to town is 40 minutes.

Have a great wherever you decide to go.

Cheers

Cas

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Hi Cas, this is most helpful, thank you very much indeed. This gave me a really good idea, so shall look for accommodation in Valetta and hall get the pass to travel around. Thank you once again 😃

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

I think the poster may be considering the end of October, which is school half term. In that case, weather can be nice, but can also have spectacular thunderstorms and some rain. Beach colder, (though sea still retains some summer warmth)

Bigger choice of hotels (with pools) in Sliema and St. Julian's area (though not Paceville!), which are good for cafes and restaurants (even for sitting outside for people watching!), shopping and also easy buses to everywhere you would want to go.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

When my daughter was a similar age she used to enjoy staying in St Julians and particularly liked the Westin, although all of the 5 Star hotels are nice. It is a good location for excellent restaurants and easy to get to all parts of the island. She liked the Baystreet shopping centre because it has an handful of lot clothes shops/boutiques suitable to the younger age group, and after an hard day site seeing appreciated Paceville earlier in the evening for bowling and the cinema and the Hard Rock Cafe, although I prefer the better range of restaurants in St Julians, especially overlooking one of the pretty bays. I would also recommend the hop on hop off bus tours since you will see a lot of the island and the commentary is quite good and they pick up from most hotels. Valletta and Mdina are places not to be missed. Neighbouring Sliema would also provide a good base and is excellent for retail therapy or emergency purchases (i needed to buy a pair of comfy shoes on my last visit to Malta and easily found them in Sliema) although my preference for a base is St Julians.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 14:59
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Excellent advice, thank you all! Yes , it is during half-term I was planning to go. I might consider Sliema after all this. Seems quite central for everywhere. Is food/ drink, entertainment, sights expensive? Should I consider half-board? Many thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

Cartey - I think B and B is enough - check out what your preferred hotel offers, many give FULL English as well as continental, so you start the day well. If you are out and about you may well eat lunch out, so only a snack needed in the evening. Great to walk out too and people waatch. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the Sliema/St. Julians areas, from McDonalds through pizzas to the full works including typical Maltese, so a great choice. Difficult to price, de[pends on what, but not too expensive. Example - capuccino is about euro1.60 (£1.00 approx)

10. Re: Malta in October with a 13 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:16