We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Heard and read some great things about Malta, but as always confused by most of the online resources. Recognising that it is late in the season, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for myself and wife (middle forties but young at heart). Wife prefers warm weather and relaxing by a pool but will let me indulge my love of culture & history which makes me think Malta is a great place to go. Location: lively of an evening with good eateries but with the transport links to head out. Hotel: good standard with a pool but perhaps indoor if the weather isn't quite hitting the 25 deg plus by then. Budget wise looking to spend no more than £500 to £600 for a week's accomodation. Appreciate all advice given

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Location wise I'd look at St Julians. The weather will easily still be in the mid 20s. It's central so you'll be able to get to all the important historical sites and areas. I can't comment too much on hotels personally as I'm more of a self catering sort of guy myself and have only stayed in 2 hotels in that area. The juliani which doesn't have a pool (I don't think) and the Radison Blu in St George's Bay. Come to think of it the Radison Blu might be worth considering. It's a short walk from the centre of things but it's got a good pool area. At that time of year you might get a good deal. We went in November 2011 and got a really good deal. Don't get it confused with the Raddison Blu Golden Bay which is a beach hotel in another part of the island and will probably be too isolated for your needs.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Hi Vince. Thank you for advice on both location and hotel to look at. Added to my list of "under consideration". I will do some research. Many thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

St Julians I agree would probably be your best bet. The Juliani Hotel has a rooftop pool, but may not be in use at that time of year. The Cavelieri Hotel may suit, right on the seafront with a good pool and great sea views.

As has been mentioned, you may get a good Hotel deal in October, package companies such as Mercury Travel can sometimes work out cheaper than booking flights and hotels as separate entities.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

I have been running through various deals on "package" websites and prices seem to be coming out roughly the same as flight + hotel as separate things. Also, choice of UK airports seems to be limited. Took the bold step of organising the flights this morning from my local airport - so at least we have transport to Malta Airport if not anywhere to sleep yet. There is another couple coming with us now as well so might start a new thread

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

I obviously agree with the above suggestion of St Julians and have actually stayed at the Juliani during the first 2 weeks of October and the rooftop pool was open, albeit a little cold. The Le Meridien has probably the best indoor pool and is situated at pretty Ballutta Bay and often has special offers bringing it into your budget. I agree that the Cavaleri is also well located albeit not to the same standard as the other hotels mentioned but definitely OK. Taking a look at one of the search engines such as Expedia or Booking.com should give you an indication of the properties available and the people on this forum will be able tp provide answers to any questions you may have. Congratulations on organising your flights !

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

If there are four of you why not consider an apartment at the Portomaso complex St Julians - you should be able to get one of these two bed top class apartments for about 800 pounds - they usually come with entrance to either the Merkanti beach club at the Hilton Hotel, or the pool area at the Cavelieri Hotel.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

An excellent suggestion from Shembo !!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

I think you would like the Meridien at St. Julians.........great indoor pool and super location. Keep Trivago under review.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Many thanks to all who have replied. We are booked into the Juliani. Fits our needs precisely. Cheers

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta Couples Holiday Last Week in October - Advice?

Excellent choice !!

It is in a lovely location overlooking pretty Spinola Bay and surrounded by lots of different eating places from cheap and cheerfull cafes to up market restaurants.

Next door is the St Julians Band club ideal for a cheap coffee or beer.

Bus stops to get you round the island right near your hotel. Valletta is a 20 minute ride away.

It will be worth buying a 7 day bus ticket for 12 euros.

Have a good stay.

Graham