We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great food in St Julian

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Great food in St Julian

We just got back from St Julian and I was so impressed by the Jade Garden near Paceville that I just wanted to share. This lovely place is the best Chineese we have ever eaten in. The staff are lovely as is the wonderful food at really great prices. They have a deal whereby you can have a starter, soup, two mains and rice all for 13 euros per person. I can really recommend the sweet and sour. They even prepared a special dish that was not on the menu for my husband. Sorry I can't tell you the street name as I didn't notice but if you stand facing Paceville with the Burger King at your right and the taxi rank in front of you then simply take a left at the taxis and its down that road. Maybe you could ask a tai driver they are very friendly.

Jane

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great food in St Julian

Next to drayton pub?

I think there is also an Indian close by as well.

Not eaten here but we have had a few beers in the drayton :)

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great food in St Julian

There was a small pub next door but no idea what it was called but it probably is that one. So try it if you are in the area. I always think great service deserves a mention not to mention fab food.

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great food in St Julian

Hi

That sounds like a reasonably good deal, I've always noticed how expensive Chinese & Indian places are in Malta & never bothered with them. Did they sell Cobra or Kingfisher beer, not that Cisk wouldn't do the job more than nicely. I might check it out in a few weeks, I know where the Drayton is, although I've never seen it open.

To be honest though I normally live off chicken curry pies from Mr Maxim when in Malta, topped up with Donald's cheese & crackers (Sun in Splendour Pub) and a good full English fry up in Dicks. Lunch is often a cheap baguette on the hoof from a cafe in Merchants St. in Valletta eaten on a bus going somewhere or nowhere. Sometimes I have a late lunch of 3 packets of crisps and 3 Skol in the Red Lion in Bugibba, very nice. I like to live the high life!

Cheers

Ntd

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great food in St Julian

Hi Ntd

Can't help with the beer question sorry, I had some nice wine there but couldn't even say what that was!

Try the full English at the Scotsman, Dave the owner does a lot of the cooking himself and he really knows how to cook, it's only 5euros and that's including a mug of tea or coffee. Try his fish and chips too, huge and only 9.95, we spent some happy hours in there watching footie or racing when it rained.

Jane

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great food in St Julian

Around the corner from the Scotsman is a restaurant called Avenue lovely restaurant with a great team of

young staff.It is rare that you will find a restaurant that sell great food attentive staff and dosent cost the earth.

I walked passed this restaurant several times and each time it was thriving not packed just a constant stream of people going in and out .The decor is excellant and even the wine was cheap well done staff you have a great restaurant and I would recommend you in future.

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great food in St Julian

For someone who regards St Julian's as a second home, I have to admit I've never been in the Scotsman, as I like to sit in the sunshine. I've been invited a couple of times to have a few "late ones" in there, well after 2am, by some fellow drinkers, but declined as early flight the next day.

I have to agree the Avenue is a great place, I always like a seat in the conservatory & they never refuse when I cheekily ask for more bread rolls. The pizzas are great but their huge bowls of pasta are difficult to beat, my fav being the linguine frutti de mar (or something like that). Even when on my own I always have a whole bottle of La Valette red to wash it all down.

If you want a really good inexpensive red, have a meal in the excellent 1927 and ask for the Citadel wine, very nice indeed.

Cheers

Ntd

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great food in St Julian

We had planned to visit The Avenue last week as we have heard good things about it but we never made it, I will put it on the list of places to go when we go back in September.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great food in St Julian

One to avoid I am afraid waited over 90 minutes for our meal when we arrived we had to find our own table

then had to wait 15 minutes for the menu which I had to ask for.When we ordered they came back after 10 minutes and said that they had run out of the order that three of my guest ordered.Took them a furthur 10 mins to bring the wine and then after that 60 minutes for the food.

When the food arrived they had no vegetiables left and sent over a half bowl of overcooked veg and 3 bowls of Spinage or some such rubbish which was also overcooked.

When I complained the manageress or whoever she was accused me of pointing my fork at her never apologised for the delay or the rotten service or the fact that they supposidely ran out of everything we ordered yet were still serving it to others.Would not recommend this place to a Maltese Cat never mind another person from Ireland.

The Owners of this place should take a good look at the staff as they do good food and it is in a lovely location and would be a great restaurant its name Caffe Raffael no less right in Spinola Bay St Julians.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great food in St Julian

Having difficulty understanding your post wrappido - you seem to end up mentioning another restaurant that overlooks Spinola Bay, not clear why this gets a mention.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great food in St Julian

Caffe Raffael is the restaurante in question awful staff.