We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

I and my husband are planning a 1 week stay in Malta in May. Our interests centre around historical sights and beautiful views. Where should we base ourselves? we are thinking of Valetta as we have heard public transport is very good and can take you literally everywhere. Would Sliema be abetter option. We like history, culture,nature and good food. Not that keen on nightlife though. We also want to visit Gozo on a day trip. Please help. Thanks Anna

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Sliema would be a good place to stay because of the large choice of hotels and it`s close proximity to Valletta and then on to other parts of the island.

There are lots of cafes, restaurants and bars as well as shops inc M&S and BHS.

There are plenty of historical sites ----- you are sure to enjoy it.

Graham

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Valletta would certainly meet most of these criteria but be aware that it is very quiet at night and there are not many hotels in the city.itself.

For bus service info, take a look at this TA Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190311-c109681/Malta… . To visit Gozo you can book on an organised tour or take an ordinary bus (41) to the Ferry at Cirkewwa, then use the Hop-on Hop-off tour when you arrive on Gozo.

Phil-the-Bus

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Thank you for your messages and advice. However, I am not sold on Sliema as it looks modern and built up. How quiet is Valetta in the evening? Are there many restaurants there? Although we are not that keen on night life, we do not want to be stuck in a lifeless dead town with a limited choice of restaurants. Valetta does look lovely with its old buildings and historical centre though! Would you recommend St Julians instead? We are still in two minds over Valetta and Sliema....Please help.

Thanks Anna

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

We have very similar interests to yourselves, and had a similar dilemma.

In the end we booked a week in Birgu in an apartment with a view over the Grand harbour. It was considerably cheaper than apartments in Valletta with similar facilities, and we figured the difference will cover the cost of taking the water taxi across to Valletta, if we find the bus ride too long/boring!

We don't go until September, so I can't tell you yet if it was the right decision, but I am feeling confident that it will suit us

This may give you another option to think about!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

St Julians is right next to Sliema and is almost like one big place. It looks much the same.

I agree that Valletta is more historically interesting but I recomended Sliema for it`s convenience and location.

Valletta will be very quiet at night but there will be eating places open.

Another posibility could be Vitoriosa one of the Three Cities. Very historical but with few places of accomodation.

Graham

Cambridge, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Dear Anna,

First of all, bear in mind that Malta is absolutely tiny (17 x 8 miles). St Julian's and Valletta are only 4 miles away from each other. If you really wanted to you could walk from one to the other (takes just over an hour). A bus ride probably takes 15-20 minutes and buses are cheap by UK standards and run quite late.

Valletta is a very historical city, with plenty to see and do, especially throughout the day. Once shops close, it is much quieter. However much has been done over the past 10 years or so to revive Valletta by night, and there are many excellent restaurants around the city. St James Cavalier and the Manoel Theatre host regular shows in the evenings, and in the summer there are often open air shows at the Old Opera House. The other point to make is that Valletta is surrounded by sea, however remember that a lot of it is a working harbour and not appropriate for bathing. The Excelsior Hotel has a private sandy beach.

St Julian's / Sliema is a built up area on the sea front. There is a fantastic promenade for walking and you can swim over the whole of the coast. There are plenty more cafes/bars/restaurants, including many with al fresco dining.

If the main aim of your trip is to spend time by the beach, then I would go for St Julians or Sliema. Similarly, if you were interested in nightclubs and discos, St Julians/Sliema/Paceville is a better option. If your main interest is to eat well, both will do. It is easy to combine the two because of their very close proximity, and you could, for example, stay in St Julians/Sliema and get the bus to Valletta and back in order to see what you are interested in. If I were going to Malta for a week, I would probably chose the latter as it probably offers the best of both worlds!

Have a great trip!

Tess (ex-pat)

Cambridge, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

Dear Anna,

First of all, bear in mind that Malta is absolutely tiny (17 x 8 miles). St Julian's and Valletta are only 4 miles away from each other. If you really wanted to you could walk from one to the other (takes just over an hour). A bus ride probably takes 15-20 minutes and buses are cheap by UK standards and run quite late.

Valletta is a very historical city, with plenty to see and do, especially throughout the day. Once shops close, it is much quieter. However much has been done over the past 10 years or so to revive Valletta by night, and there are many excellent restaurants around the city. St James Cavalier and the Manoel Theatre host regular shows in the evenings, and in the summer there are often open air shows at the Old Opera House. The other point to make is that Valletta is surrounded by sea, however remember that a lot of it is a working harbour and not appropriate for bathing. The Excelsior Hotel has a private sandy beach.

St Julian's / Sliema is a built up area on the sea front. There is a fantastic promenade for walking and you can swim over the whole of the coast. There are plenty more cafes/bars/restaurants, including many with al fresco dining.

If the main aim of your trip is to spend time by the beach, then I would go for St Julians or Sliema. Similarly, if you were interested in nightclubs and discos, St Julians/Sliema/Paceville is a better option. If your main interest is to eat well, both will do. It is easy to combine the two because of their very close proximity, and you could, for example, stay in St Julians/Sliema and get the bus to Valletta and back in order to see what you are interested in. If I were going to Malta for a week, I would probably chose the latter as it probably offers the best of both worlds!

Have a great trip!

Tess (ex-pat)

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

I would defeniatly stay in valletta , it is beautiful and historic and as you said transport links to all over the island , there is also resturants ect at the valletta water front, and its only a short bus ride away if you wanted to eat out in st julians bay which I recomend to do at least once during your stay. sliema is very built up and in my opinion lost alot of its charm , but also worth getting a water taxi over for a visit and for the lovely walk along the promanade.

I lived in malta for 18 years.

9. Re: 1 week in Valetta or eslewhere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16