We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Hi Everyone

We are looking for a relaxing week in Malta over Christmas and we're not too sure where to stay , I've checked the FAQ's and I'm non the wiser .

So I thought I'd tell you what we like and then see which resort you might think we would be most happy in .

We are a couple aged 48 and 50 and enjoy walks , a few beers , live music preferably rock , a selection of bars {definitely not into nightclubs!!!} good restaurants and somewhere coastal but sandy beaches are not essential .

We dont have children of our own so dont particularly want to be somewhere where there are lots of family's .

I may be asking too much to find all of these in one place but you never know until you ask.

Thanks for any replies in advance , Glenn.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

I have spent the last 15 Christmases in Malta staying in the St Pauls Bay / Bugibba / Qawra area.

Malta is lovely at Christmas (and New Year ). Very lively on Christmas eve but quieter on the actual day as this is a family day.

Lots of good food . Most hotels will do a proper Xmas lunch.

Come and enjoy it.

Graham

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

I agree with Graham. The things you say you are looking for are exactly how I would describe St Paul's Bay/Bugibba/Qawra.

Melb
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

What is the weather like during Xmas and on to Jan.Someone told me it's a mixed bag.Could be a few showers with wind ,could be alot of sunshine and warm to.Is December the start of winter.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 23:19
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

The weather in December can be mixed but is generally quite good.

I have just had a look through my travel journals that go back many years to see what I had recorded about the weather on Christmas Day.

I noted that last Christmas day was sunny and pleasantly warm , the year before was rainy and dull but several before that were nice and sunny.

Overall , in the last 15 years there has only been one -- 2011 --- where you couldn`t sunbathe in the middle of the day although it does get chillier by mid to late afternoon.

Graham

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

I would suggest that you would be better suited to either St Julians or Sliema, the Buggiba/Qawra resorts are frequented more by the older generation over Christmas and New Year. St Julians or to a lesser extent Sliema will give you a more balanced age spread, and if you prefer a more sophisticated environment, you will find more of these in St Julians than Buggiba.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

While I am in Malta in the Bugibba area I find a good mix of areas.

It certainly doesn`t seem like an old peoples home.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Sorry !!!

That should have read " While I am in Malta in the Bugibba area I find a good mix of AGES "

Graham

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Thanks for the input ,

I dont mind being in an area with more mature people but I try to avoid the resorts that do Bingo , karaoke, club turns , full English breakfast , Sunday dinners, British bars selling John Smiths, Guiness and doing happy hours .

I travel to taste another cultures food and drink wherever possible .

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Based on your clarification I would rule out Bugibba since it is full of the type of entertainment that you describe. My recommendation would be St Julians because you will have a more refined (albeit more expensive) choice of hotels and a good selection of restaurants both in St Julians and neighbouring Sliema. Only a small area adjoining St Julians (Paceville) is more lively with some nightclubs and livelier bars, however this area can be easily avoided. I have had a couple of nice Christmas breaks at the Westin which I thouroughly enjoyed although i would also recommend the Juliani, Le Meridian and the Hilton.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would suit us for a Christmas in Malta?

Hi tripalot

Thank you , very helpfull .