We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

Torquay, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

Hi! We are going to Malta for 7 nights on 15th May and could really do with some help deciding where to stay. We are a couple in our early 30's and would really like to have a mix of culture, relaxing in the sun, swimming, snorkelling/diving and spending our evenings enjoying a selection of restaurants in a lovely area where we can watch the world go by. I have narrowed my top choice of hotel down to the Cavalieri in St Julian’s as it is within our budget (around £60 for a room per night) and it seems to be in a great location right next to Spinola bay. My partner prefers the look of the San Antonio in St Pauls bay (same price for the week) as it seems like more of a tourist resort, it has a decent size pool (we love swimming), is closer to beaches in the North and he feels that this area may be a little more relaxing than St Julians. The San Antonio does look nicer than the Cavalieri but I’m not so sure about this location– any thoughts on St Pauls bay versus St Julian’s for what we are looking for?? I have researched both these areas extensively and still can’t decide what to go for, which is why I am posting on this forum for the first time ever!! As we are keen for some sun, beaches and relaxation the other option we’ve talked about could be to split our time between two hotels and have a few nights in Gozo/Mellieha followed by a few nights in Sliema/St Julians??! Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

Hi Leanne,

Firstly, the San Antonio Hotel is in Qawra not St Paul's Bay resort. The resorts of Qawra/Bugibba and St Paul's Bay are joined by a long promenade along the seafront and are considered as one area as they are all in easy walking distance from each other. The San Antonio Hotel & Spa is popular with the Brits and is idealy situated near many restaurants and bars. It is also only a five minute walk to the bus station for visiting different towns of the island and beaches. The best beaches are at the north of the island and probably the best sandy beach is Mellieha Bay beach, about a 25 mins bus ride from Qawra.

St Julians/Sliema are just as popular as Qawra/Bugibba/St Paul's Bay but are much more busier traffic-wise as they are more densley populated than the more touristy resorts of Qawra/Bugibba/St Paul's Bay, but on the other hand have a much better selection of shops. It is all a matter of choice.

Have a good holiday.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 13:02
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

I would go for Cavalieri coupled with San Andrea in Gozo. Gives a good contrast of location.

pittenweem,fife
Level Contributor
23 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

Would agree with mark not stayed at the cavalieri but have stayed a few times at the San Andrea in xlendi Gozo great food and service and location amazing .across the road from the hotel is St. Andrews divers who I can recommend

roy-c
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

We have just returned from a first holiday in Malta - we will return!

I have always been surprised by the way in which Malta is either loved or loathed as a holiday destination with little middle ground

Imho this is largely down to where you stay

If you stay in Sliema or St Julians, you will be close to the glorious city of Valetta which is on a par with many of the best which Italy has to offer. And you would be at a beach resort too

Going to the north, this would be OK but many other places eg Mallorca would be preferable

The nightmare traffic situation (our taxi was almost involved in a major accident within seconds of leaving the Airport on arrival) would tend to prevent people from making frequent journeys in a way that one would find easy on other islands

Also Malta has relatively to offer in the way of scenery or sandy beaches - which are clear minuses

But we loved it

5. Re: St Julians v St Pauls or a few nights on Gozo to relax?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 07:16