We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique my plan please!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Critique my plan please!

Can you provide any feedback for my plan? I am arriving on a cruise ship on Wed June 5th and was planning to walk to St John's Co-cathedral, Church of St Paul's Shipwreck and then take a train or taxi to Mosta and then Medina. Not sure which to do first and how long the drive is. Then, I want to return back to Valetta. Our ship is only in port from 1pm-10pm so figure I need to see the St John's Cathedral first since it will be closed when we return. Do you know the hours for the Mosta Rotunda? How much is a taxi or how easy is it to catch a bus from Valetta to Mosta and then Medina or Valleta to Medina and then Mosta and then return? Also, at the very end of the day we would like to wander around the Upper Barrakka Gardens, do you know the hours? How would you suggest we go about it with 2 adults and 2 children? I saw there are hop on, hop off buses, but I think the hours close early. Do you know? Is there anywhere to walk along the city walls? Should I consider just renting a taxi for a set amount of time so that way we can get them to transport us from Valletta to Mosta, then Medina and return. Do they do that and any guess how much? I am open to using the bus if it is really convenient but if it takes too much time, less prefer taxi.

Jenn

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique my plan please!

No trains on Malta I'm afraid - after disembarking the liner walk along the coast road and along Xatt Lascaris to the panoramic lifts that will take you up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens (approx 10 minute walk) - from there exit the gardens and walk passed Castile Place, then turn right down Merchants Street, then second left along St John Street to the Co-Cathedral - have a quick scootch around Valletta whilst you are there.

I would make web contact with a company such as Wembley Motors (based in St Julians) and arrange for them to pick you up from say outside the Phoenecia Hotel (just outside the main Valletta gates) at a time to suit, take you to Mosta and then on to Mdina (or vice-versa) and then hang about before taking you back to Valletta (either the cruise terminal, or if you are still up for it and have time to the City itself).

The taxis in Malta are very expensive, and I'm sure the you would be able to get a much better deal by pre-booking with a private company.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique my plan please!

Thanks for your awesome feedback! I didn't quite realize the elevation gain so will definitely remember the lifts.

I meant I think there is a little tram that looks like a train that goes around Medina and Rabat and might have a view of Mosta.

Wondering if the drive between Medina and Mosta is far or whether these are all right on the way.

Jenn

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique my plan please!

Yes, there is one of the 'site seeing' trains that goes around Rabat, Mdina and Mtarfa and it is well worth taking a trip, in my opinion it is probably the best on the island. You can best see Mosta from the elevated Mtarfa part of the journey.

The starting point for the train is at the side of Howard Gardens about 200 m from the Mdina main gates.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 16:27
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique my plan please!

SEE--- Freeways Car Hire Reviews by KNOWKATS ---- See -- Topic, hiring a car and driver, have a wonderful stress free!! visit to the Malta. KNOWKATS.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique my plan please!

So, does the order make sense? Any guess how long the drive for each segment would be? Any other tips?

Jenn

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique my plan please!

Valletta - Mosta 20 minutes / Mosta - Rabat 10 minutes, all by car of course. However your private transfer company will best advise on times.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 08:12
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique my plan please!

Ok, The Cathedral will be no problem, make your way out of the cruise terminal turn right and take the new lift up to Barrakka Gardens, stunning view! the Cathedral is only 5 -- 10 minutes walk away, Mosta dome is miles 20 minute drive away, and parking is always a problem here, so you will need a taxi / wait service for this, about half hour or so? a guided takes for ever so forget about that, Rabat from Mosta 10 minutes drive 1-30 minutes look around, private taxi & wait, so it will be a 30 minute drive back to the ship, Shembo is correct in all, private transfer would be very advisable especially when you have to be back on board ship by 9pm to be on the safe side. You will not need a taxi for St Johns Cathedral, so you could get a price for Mosta and Rabat round trip, meeting the driver whoever you choose? at a prearranged time say 3-30 at Barrakka gardens car park. With this idea you will still have time to have a walk around Valletta, and not miss the boat. Warning!! white taxis that hang around the cruise terminal can be very expensive when its time to pay. Hope this helps. KNOWKATS.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critique my plan please!

Thanks!!! Are the white taxis the licensed taxis that work on the set rates. I thought they had negotiated rates that were set so no real variation on price. I had heard it was about 20-25 euros an hour flat rate for them or about 25 euros one way from Valetta to Mda.Is that not the case?

Jenn

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critique my plan please!

They work on set rates from the airport and the cruise terminal only, voucher system - but get them away from this pricing and you are the loser, big time. Forget taxis, pre-book private transfer as I have previously stated, you will control the cost - be careful!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Critique my plan please!

Thanks for the info, that makes more sense now.

Jenn