We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekly bus pass

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weekly bus pass

If you get the weekly bus pass doe,s this include the x2 service to and from the airport and can they be bought at machines in the airport .thanks for any advice ..

steve / caz

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekly bus pass

Yes you can use the weekly pass on all the X buses.

Tickets can be purchased at the airport or off the driver.

The pass costs 12.00 euros and can be used on all omnibuses in Malta for 7 days up to 11.00 at night after which the seperate night service commences.

The ticket cannot be used in Gozo where a seperate ticket is required.

Graham

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekly bus pass

Yes it does and yes they can (or you can buy it from the Arriva ticket desk inside the airport building).

Phil-the-Bus

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekly bus pass

Thanks for the quick replies ..asked this question after reading all the hassle with the taxi firms ..bus to sliema it is then thanks again ..

steve / caz

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekly bus pass

can we use our bus passes in malta .I have a OAP over 60's pass and my husband has a disabled pass

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekly bus pass

No, I am afraid that the UK bus pass can not be used in Malta.

However , the price of a Seven day bus ticket has , since January , gone down from 12. 00 euros to only 6.50 euros.

This ticket gives unlimited bus rides up until the night service , for a week.

Good value.

Graham

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekly bus pass

There are reductions for OAP and disabled but you need Karta Anzjan or E60 plus residents card, or Malta blue badge, which means being a resident on Malta;

transport.gov.mt/land-transport/…bus-fares

UK bus passes won't suffice.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekly bus pass

Your pass is an "All England Bus pass". It can only be used to get free travel in England, but not in Scotland, Wales or anywhere else that is not in England. However occasionally it may be accepted as evidence that you are a senior citizen and so entitled to a discount of some sort, but this does not apply to bus fares in Malta.

Phil-the-Bus

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekly bus pass

thanks for all your prompt replies

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekly bus pass

Hi

I'm pleased to see the bus price has come down, I felt ripped off in 2013 paying double the locals fare!

Can I still buy a weekly pass at the airport?

Is there a better option as I'm coming for 11 days?

Thank you. - looking forward to my return.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekly bus pass

Stephen,no only weekley available,buy at machine coming out of airport,price 6.50 euros,for the week,1.50 day ticket per day after that.

When are you going,as in July the fair system is changing due to the new bus operator,and itll be a card system that you have to put money on,and scan per journey,bit like the oyster card in London,come July,the weekley ticket will no longer be available,cards free for first year,with a card itll cist you 75c per journey,without a card 1.50 per journey,so I suggest if arriving July or after pick a card up at the airport,there will be a monthly ticket for £26 euros,

So as you felt ripped off paying the 13.50 last time as opposed to 6.50 for locals,your probarbly going to a feel a bit like it again then with the new system,but it us the same system for locals as well,the price had too change,no company could make a profit on what was being charged not even on a weekley 13.50 unlimited travel and certainly not 6.50,yes its subsided by the government,but only to a certain degree,but it does sound there will be an improvement in services,as buying lots of new buses and takeing on lots of new drivers and staff,so eventually new and better routes and more buses on busier routes.

I for one dont mind payeing the extra,ill be getting a card tho,

The malteese people are a bit ul in the arms about it tho at the moment,bear in mind the average malteese is lucky if they earn 5 euros an hour,then paying something like 40% tax on it,so most work 2 sometimes 3 jobs,are paid weekley,so finding 26 euros all at once rather 6.50 will be a bit of a struggle for most,and a lot will have to get monthly ticket as some get up to 3 buses a day to get too work,school etc then back again,can you imagine 75c a journey for that amount of times a day,over a week,it would bankrupt the average Maltese with how low there wages are,especially compared to UK and other major European countries,yes I know cost of living is lower,but the wage is well below that.so there not happy,after all the subsidiary the government is laying the new operator 29 million,is money they've paid in taxes,so bear a thought for the malteese because they feel there being ripped of too.

Have a read in Malta times and Malta today,all the info is online in there.

Eileen