We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Europcar

Carcavelos, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Europcar

Absolute thieves in every way, if you don't want to feel ripped off avoid Europcar like the plague. I have used Europcar all over the world, all fine, but in Malta...no way!!! You will get ripped off, thieves.....no other way of explaining it, avoid!!

55 replies to this topic
Göteborg, Sverige
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avoid Europcar

I have made around 11 calls to Europcar Malta and finally managed to get a refund of 75€, but they are still holding the last 50€ as an administration fee. 50€ is not a very big amount, so technically they know that they can get away with it since no one will argue on just 50€. However, since we all have experienced the same problem I think that these 50€ per person is a really big revenue in their annual turnover.

I'm curious to know whether the invoice on the repair is really issued or just false.

Are they holding your money as an administration fee aswell?

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoid Europcar

Wish we had read this forum before renting from europcar this Christmas. As above, no one to show us the car, extra money up front and when returned,,,, lo and behold a tiny scratch, which MAY have been there before! was otter at several metres away? Charged €170 which was more than we had paid for the whole hire anyway. E mail to them came back saying tough, a scratch is there. Avoid them easy jet should not be promoting them at all.

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Avoid Europcar

Yet another unhappy customer - same sort of thing a mark was found once the car was returned to Europcar. It may have been there from the beginning because it appeared as if the representative knew exactly where to look as soon as I drove up. He then only gave a quick glance over the rest of the vehicle as he was able to issue the 125 Euro bill. I have voiced my concerns with the European Consumer Centre and Malta Transport Authority - scams like this spoil good holidays.

Rory

Hove

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoid Europcar

I had a similar experience with Europcar in Liverpool when returning a car. Their agent quickly found a tiny dent (that I had not noticed) and a scratch under the front bumper. Luckily I had taken their extra insurance and so had no excess however I still disputed that the damage was caused by me since I had not had any accidents and am always careful where I park. I later received a call from their claims department asking for details about the damage and reiterated that it was definitely not caused by me. There was no monetary loss in my case, but it was still annoying and next time I fly to Liverpool I will use Hertz with whom I have never had any issues. My advice when renting a car in a country where you are not resident is take the extra insurance. Cheaper is not always better.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Avoid Europcar

EUROPCAR in Spain. We had a horrendous experience on our honeymoon in Spain recently. We rented an Audi A4 which broke down after 3 hrs of driving on a highway. They agreed to refund 2/3 of the money intially but as they have our credit cards we didn't realize how much risk we were exposed to. After abt 15 days i checked my credit card to find a debit of abt 2800 EUR from EUROPCAR towards damaged clutch. We have absolutley nothing to do with it.We have about 15yrs of experience driving manual cars and these guys claim we have damaged it in 3 hrs! HAHA. They are refusing the insurance cover claiming " BAD USE" based on their investigation. In the end they charged us 3000 EUR for 3 hrs of driving!!. Anyways we are suing them and will not spare them . they are CROOKS.. pls avoid them.

Poznan, Poland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Avoid Europcar

Is it really that bad? I rent car from economycarrentals.com and I'm coming to malta on 5th of april. The brooker gave me who? Ofcourse Europcar so I have no choice to rent car there. Or I can write for change the operator? is it possible? I will take as many pictures I can and check the oil, lights, tyres, inside and under to see if there are any scratches or something suspicious.

1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Avoid Europcar

You completly right!

Ihad a similar experience in last April. 155€

Avoid europcar in Malta

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Avoid Europcar

Good one Grahame,so true were correct,there wrong,but to be honest,its not just car hire firms in Malta,you get dodgy ones every where,mind you i am suprised at europcar,ive used them in France,Spain,Italy,Holland, and never had a problem,now ive said that i probarbly will next time now

lol.But like Grahame said there all not like it in Malta fortunately.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Avoid Europcar

Yorkshiregirl.

Why do you insist on putting a "e " after my name.LOL

Graham ---- no e

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Avoid Europcar

Graham, without the e,ive got a cousin called Grahame with an e,ill try to remember in futre,ive slapped my wrist for forgetting.

lol

Eileen

Edited: 23 May 2014, 20:40
Reply to: Avoid Europcar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted