We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

Hi, I'm really sorry cause I'm sure this has been covered.

I'm meeting my fiances ship but am spending most of my trip alone. I've looked at loads of places and still have no idea what I'm doing really. I want to take in the history of Malta. I don't have a problem keeping myself amused but would like to be close to transport links. In the evenings I've been told we'll be in St Julians but I'm not sure I want to stay there. I'm really umming as to wether it's worth staying in Valletta to be close to the ship or stay somewhere else.

Can someone help plllllleeease? Thanks in advance.

Abbie

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

I stayed in Valletta during my recent trip. Explored the island by public transport which was very cheap and reliable. Have a look at my trip report & photographs:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190311-i348-k65…

Happy planning!

Sussex
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

You might consider Sliema, right next door to St Julians and in easy reach of transport links to Valletta from which you can easily explore the rest of Malta.

There are a couple of ferries between Sliema and Valetta - I believe these are both running but someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

www.vallettaferryservices.com/schedule.html

www.captainmorgan.com.mt/ferry-services

The public buses run through regularly too

http://www.arriva.com.mt/home?l=1

And from Valletta - should you run out of sights and history there - you can easily reach the rest of the Island from the bus station.

I'm going to take a wild guess that your fiance's ship is painted in rather a dull grey colour ;) and you'll probably be able to reach it via the new lift from the Upper Barrakka Gardens in Valletta.

Enjoy your trip, hopefully this will have helped a bit, others will no doubt help you too.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

Thank you both.

Haha, it certainly is a gorgeous shade of grey. So if I wanted to go else where and was staying in Sliema would I need to go into Valletta to catch the bus there? I can't judge how big it is so am struggling to make a plan.

Abbie

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

As far as I know there is only one ferry from Sliema to Valletta - both weblinks are publicising the same service.

P-t-B

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

There are a few direct buses from Sliema - if you take a look at this TA article, it will tell you how to get about Malta by bus - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190311-c109681/Malta… .

Phil-the-Bus

Sussex
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

The whole Island is only about 5 times the size of Plymouth or about the same size as the Isle of Wight if that helps?

7. Re: Finding a base point and meeting a ship.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:16