We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Hello all,

I'm a single gal, late 20s, planning to go to Malta for a weeks. I'm interested in seeing the main cultural sights, maybe a day or two by the beach/pool, a boat trip and a day or two in Gozo.

- Where would be a good place to stay with these activities in mind? It seems like Mellieha is great for the locations, views and beaches, but maybe more couples/family oriented. Would St.Julian's or Qawra be a better idea if I wanted a bit more night life? I'm not a fan of all-out clubbing but maybe a nice promenade to see some bustling at night instead of a quiet town.

- I'm quite flexible with dates, so would planning the trip for mid September instead of end August make a difference in terms of how busy things are? Without missing out in on great weather of course!

Any other suggestions on how to approach this would be much appreciated! Thanks for all the great advice and info that is already on here... makes planning a trip so much easier!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Qawra, St.Julians or Sliema should all fit the bill. St.Julians/Paceville has the most nightlife. Qawra/Bugibba have clubs and plenty of bars. Plenty of bars and good proms in Sliema, which is also good for bus or ferry to Valletta and the main bus station.

September should be good weather. A little cooler than balmy July/August but sea still warm etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Thanks for the quick reply! Qawra and Silema sound like good places to investigate...

Another question popped in my mind. I haven't done a forum/online search yet, but I'm an avid horse rider - are there any (recommended) places that offer excursions on Malta or Gozo?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

There is a stables at Golden Bay ---- about 20 minutes by bus from Qawra --- that do horse riding including lovely evening rides. Suitable for all levals of riding ability . They even do lead reign trips for beginners.

Graham

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Excellent, thanks Graham!

london
Level Contributor
413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

avoid August, its too hot and also too busy and more expensive due to European school holidays, as for a base another vote for Sliema, good bus connections and access to boat trips around the island as well as a long promenade for the evening and access to St Julians if you prefer things a bit more lively one evening

York
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Hi, we have been riding today at golden bay and would thoroughly recommend! Very clean and well run, beautiful horses that were well turned out and excellent staff! Good value and easy to get to. The rides are sedate as it is hot and rocky but still great!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

I agree .

The horses are all very well cared for and treated well.

My daughter is a very experiences rider , with her own horse in UK and when she comes to Malta she likes to ride a large horse named Brandy.

Graham

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

Thanks Missie and Graham! Finally decided on Sliema as a base, plus two days on Gozo.

Will definitely be checking out golden bay!

9. Re: Tips for a single gal 1 week in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:17