We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
973 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes

Hi guys,

Less than 4 weeks until i go now yay...

I have been reading that you can buy cigs upon arrival at the airport. Firstly I was wondering if the 'Duty Free' shop in arrivals is open late as i believe my flight does not land until 22.50?

Also, where is recommended to buy cigs in and around Qawra and Bugibba? I have heard that Hansa has closed down or am i going loopy?

Thanks in advance

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes

There is a shop called Alexanders in Qawra that sell cigarettes , cigars, tobaco as well as beer , wines and spirits.

His prices are always good.

Across the road from the bus station is a street that leeds to the Santana Hotel . Alexanders is a couple of door before theat hotel.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
973 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes

Thanks Graham.

Would prefer to buy at the airport on arrival as its done with then, but if its shut ill go to Alexander's. Thank you :)

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes

When we was there in June we went in nearly every shop to price up the cigarettes as we bring a large amount home with us. The cheapest we found was a tobacco shop but cannot remember what it's called. Next to a small bar that has karaoke on every night not far from bus garage and opposite Diana bar. I am sure someone on here will know where I mean. Anyway they were 2 euro a sleeve cheaper than airport and all the shops. If you only want one sleeve then its irrelevant but on a large amount it is a big saving.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
973 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes

I will be getting quite a few sleeves hopefully.

Can I ask what cigs you purchased and how much they were?

Thanks.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes

That is Alexanders.

Graham

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes

Sorry princess but can't remember the price but we bought superking blacks and they were 2 euro a sleeve cheaper in Alexanders, thanks Graham, than at the airport. So on 20 sleeves you will save yourself 40 Euros which is a big difference, the cost of a night out in Malta lol.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
973 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes

Thanks June and Graham. Appreciate both your inputs.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
973 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes

One last thing regarding cigs...

Is there still a smoking area in departures after security?

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes

Yes there is an outside area where you can smoke.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigarettes

Hi PrincessAm22,

I spoke to a Mr Franco Farrugia at the beginning of June, and he said that Hansa Wine & Spirits Ltd at Barnaba Street Qawra is still open for business. Another shop named Hansa Cash and Carry had to close and open under a different name. He didn't say the what the new name was. Check Hansa prices of cigarettes against other outlets at;

www.hansa.com.mt

Have a good holiday