We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

Need to get the Hypogeum from Sliema (Preluna Hotel) arriving about 10:30 AM on a weekday. I believe we can use the X2 bus to Paola, near the prison and walk about 5 mins?

This would avoid changing buses in Valletta? Any better suggestions using public transport? I can see some options on Google maps and Arriva site but want a second option or two! Thanks...

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

The X2 is the the only direct option I am aware of. Travelling via Valletta is the only sensible alternative. What alternatives are the websites suggesting ?

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 03 October 2013, 23:15
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

Several other options, one is to take the 202 and change to the 210 at the hospital. That would drop us off a bit closer than the X2. Might be chaotic at Mater Dei though?

Via Valletta there's the 12 then 83 or the 12 then 1. The 210 or 83 apparently drop us closer.

I guess we could also walk down and catch a bus at Sliema Ferries.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

Changing buses at Mater Dei is a bit of a risk if you are on a deadline, as if the connection does not turn up you could be in for a long wait. That is why I did not suggest it. It can also get a bit congested and confusing if you have not changed buses there before.

Buses from Valletta to the bus stop nearest the Hypogeum are 81, 82, 83 and 85 which together provide quite a frequent service. Services 1, 2, 3, 91, 92, 93 & 94 also go that way but you would need to get off at the Prison in Paola Square, which is further away.

Phil-the-Bus

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

Thnaks Phil - I think we'll avoid the hospital connection (apart from if the X2 comes along). Probably use the 12 or 15 to get to Valletta and change to the 83 (or 81, 82 or 85).

Our tour is booked for 11:00 but aiming to get there well before.

5. Re: Bus to Hypogeum from Sliema, use X2?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:19