We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing in two days, possible?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing in two days, possible?

is it possible to cover these sights in two full days travelling around using public transport:-

Valletta, Medina, the Three cities.

Debating if a visit to Gozo is a must - please advise.

Thank you.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

Two days !!! .

You could do it but you are not going to see everything .

Valletta is really going to need a full day. There really is a lot to see there . Several hours can be spent wandering aimlessly around the lovely narrow backstreets,

A lot depends upon your interests . The war museum could take up a couple of hours.

Sitting in the Upper Barracca Gardens and watching the noon cannon firing is all time well spent.

Half a day spent in Mdina should suffice and then carrying on to Vitoriosa ( one of , and the most interesting ) of thr Three Cities would fill the second day.

Pity you can`t stay longer, There is more places of interest on Malta than anywhere on earth for it`s size.

Hope you have an enjoyable and interesting stay

Graham.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

grahanwitton, thank you for your detailed reply. We have tight travel dates as we were orginally just going to Germany and the UK. Malta has to be squeezed into the trip as we have a wedding in Malta that we must attend which wasn't part of our original travel plans (bride and groom to be only recently got engaged, after our trip/tickets/etc were booked).

One full day is accounted for the wedding, which leaves us with two full days for sightseeing. Never been to Malta so would like to see/do as much as possible.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 00:40
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

Me again, which guidebook(s) are best for Malta, the only one I have referred to is the DK guidebook . Have also read about Malta on this forum. Information on Malta isn't easy to gather in the US.

Colorado
Level Contributor
257 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

For a start, I'd recommend the Top Ten Malta book; it's pretty small but hits the highlights. In order to answer your original question-what type of things interest you? Would be able to give better suggestions based on that.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

Answering the original question, it rather depends on where you will be staying. My suggestion would be to do two mornings in Valletta, then one afternoon take a bus to Mdina, and take a bus (or the ferry) to the 3 cities on the other. Mdina in particular can be much more pleasant in the late afternoon when the coach tours have gone.

Phil-the-Bus

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

I'd miss Gozo out as its a long day. If you could hire a car you could easily do Three Cities & Mdina/Rabat for your second day.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

HI

If you miss Gozo out the other three you can do in two days but and this is a big but you will only be getting a flavour of the three locations because there is so much to see at all three locations but better to see some of it than to see none of it

Edited: 04 October 2013, 16:01
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

Thanks for the replies. I have read the DK Top Ten book (that's what I meant by DK guidebook).

We are particularly interested in cultural and historic sights. The beach is of no interest. Don't mind visiting a chruch or two but wouldn't want to hit all the churches.

My travel companion is fond of cars and I am certain the Classic Car Museum will be on the to do list once the must sees are visited. Not interested in visiting other museums.

Are we best off booking day tours to cover the three cities and Medina? Would like to avoid renting a car if possible.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 18:51
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

No the buses will be fine - which area are you staying in ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing in two days, possible?

Thanks, Phil-th-bus. Will be staying in St Julians or Siliema.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 23:56