We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

We would like to take a two week break in Malta around the end of August beginning of September. I have been reading the forums and like the sound of Valetta. We would like a good hotel probably five star with a sea view if possible.

I understand that it is quite easy to get around the island from Valetta and that is the main reason I think it might be a good place to stay. I hope that in two weeks we would be able to see a lot of Malta while having a good hotel with a nice pool and sea view to relax in and be in walking distance of some nice restaurants. Do you think I am on the right track or are there other places that might fit the bill? I would appreciate any ideas or hotel recommendations.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

Personally I would recommend St Julian’s over Valletta.

Although Valletta is very nice it is much quieter and has far less good hotels and fewer restaurants. St Julian’s is only a short bus ride away from Valletta.

For a list of hotels in St Julian’s have a look at:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g227101-Saint_Julia…

Macl1uk

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

Thank you I will look at St Julians. You kind of read my mind as It was another place I wondered about. I will start looking now!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

No matter which hotel you pick make sure it has air con as Malta can be a very warm place in August over 100 degrees aint uncommon and a lot higher on occasions. St.Julians would be a much better area as you will be walking distance from St Georges beach a man made beach but great for a swim and then a short walk back to your hotel.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

Thank you that is a good tip. I don't mind the heat at all but air con is a must at night with those sorts of temperatures. We will probably go at the very end of August into September.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

We have been many times beginning of Sept and I must say it's extremely humid at that time of year especially in the evening. I would also say st julians is a better base and has far more nightlife and top class restaurants than Valletta. Valletta is fantastic during the day and has the links to the rest of the island but it is quiet in the evening.

The bus system is brilliant though so you can get anywhere quite easily and as frequent as you like with a 12 Euro weekly ticket.

My advice would be to get the bus ticket, jump on as many busses as you like and let the maltese atmosphere soak into your skin. We love it and are going back for our 15th visit in 8 years in Feb.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

Thank you bobthestag it all sounds great. I am enjoying the planning and looking forward to discovering something new.

7. Re: Is Valetta a good base for a newbie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:18