We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nadur Carnival Question

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
134 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Nadur Carnival Question

Hi,

We'll be in Gozo this year for the carnival and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

1) We won't get to Gozo until Sunday. Will we miss the best parts of the spontaneous carnival?

2) I'm assuming Tuesday night will be the best (out of Sun, Mon, and Tue)...is that correct?

3) Any parking tips (we will have a car)? We'll be staying in Xlendi. Bus seems difficult due to transfers. Are taxis possible?

4) Any suggestions on things we should bring (pack) to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Edited: 05 January 2014, 20:46
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nadur Carnival Question

It's fair to say this carnaval is more focussed in my opinion on youth. Think of streets packed with loud music and masses of alcohol stalls, like being in a large football crowd. As you can guess, I'm not a massive fan. Taxis from Xlendi are possible. It's extremely popular and locals take it seriously, fancy dress etc.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nadur Carnival Question

Saturday night is the busy night - but too busy to admire the costumes as its just too crowded - and yes drunken. I love the other nights (I was there last night) as you can party, but there is more space for the 'drama' element of the event to happen, and for the 'characters' to interact. There is also no problem parking on the other nights - if you're there by 10 you'll find somewhere within 5 mins walk ok. It gets quieter as the week goes on - so you don't really want to wait until Tuesday (although of course it all changes if the weather is bad) Have fun!

Edited: 01 March 2014, 15:22
Mgarr, Malta
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nadur Carnival Question

Unfortunately not what it used to be, the real meaning of the Nadur Karnival seems to have been lost over the years it is very much more commercial now than in the older days before and far too much drinking and drunkenness such a shame as lots of our old Maltese traditions have gone this way even the priest is not respected as before and women in mini skirts in church showing off their bare thighs, no wonder some of our priests look so hot and sweaty in church it must be like sitting on a pressure cooker for them as celebate men of the church.

4. Re: Nadur Carnival Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations