We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricty and Water Charges

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Electricty and Water Charges

We are privately renting a self contained apartment for 5 weeks where the cost of electricity and water usage is calculated and paid separately at the end of our stay. The owner said they take a meter reading at the start and end of our stay. There will be 2 of us and as it will be over summer am sure will be taking a couple of showers a day and will be using the air con.

Just don't want to be shocked with a big bill at the end. Any idea how we can approximately calculate cost for water and electricity. I know this would only be an approx. figure. Many thanks.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Air con will eat electricity to be honest. Very hard to estimate as flat may have full roof exposed to the sun. If flat is in shade, fans may be enough. Many of us cope that way.

I estimate at least €30.00 a week if careful. You will surely be out in the day cutting down on usage. If you leave AC on you could eat around €60-80.00 a week.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Surely the owner can give you some guidance as to the likely cost per week?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Take your own reading as well if you have an Iphone take a picture of the meter that way no additional surprises.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Thank you for your replies.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Just a point I would like to make..and this is not aimed at you personally Maryjo0929, Whenever renting a flat always check the fine print as to whether electricity/water charges included...that cheap flat may end up costing more than you wanted to pay. I assume this is an older flat or rented thru an agent as most advertised on such sites as www.ownersdirect.co.uk include electricity/water usage and if not are clearly stated as such. So anyone out there wanting to rent a flat always ask if aircon electricity etc included also if there is an extra charge for wifi too.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
596 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

Good question! and answers, all very good but in many cases a property only has one service meter to supply the whole block, so unless each flat has it's own private check meters for eletricity and water, the landlords could end up charging you what they think! Be careful. KNOWKATS.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

I am told by the owners,that we have our own meter, and this property has come recommended from family members, so I am not worried about being ripped off, more just to be able to approximately work out costs. I know how much electricity costs me at home but not in Malta. Thanks for all your replies.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Electricty and Water Charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18