We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Malta

england
Level Contributor
195 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in Malta

Hi ,

we are visiting Malta for the first time in April and we arrive on Easter Sunday.I'm wondering if there will be many places open over the festive period eg restaurants and attractions. Maybe there is something going on connected with Easter that we really shouldn't miss?

We are staying in St Julians. Hoping someone can help?!

Thanks in anticipation!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Malta

First of all put 'easter' in the search box above and you'll find lots of information.

The religious easter celebrations are really held before Easter. A few parishes hold processions , usually in the morning, on Easter Sunday.

england
Level Contributor
195 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Malta

hat, thanks for the heads up. You're right there is a lot of info already there! I tend to mistakenly think that I'm the only one to have ever asked a question when posting- duh!

thanks again

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Malta

You're welcome - it took me some time to realise how useful the 'search' facility was.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Malta

We went to Malta in March last year for my Birthday,our first time there & that was Easter,we also stayed at St Julians,we were surprised at the noise & the traffic,but we found plenty about the area to like as a result of which we have booked the same again for my Birthday this year,as Easter is later this year we are hoping for it to be a bit quieter,fingers crossed!

england
Level Contributor
195 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Malta

Hi Snaefell,

thanks for your helpful input. I'm fine with a bit of noise and festivities! Just wanted to check that we weren't missing out on anything or that everywhere shut down for several days. Malta looks amazing , lots of things to do. I'm wondering why we haven't visited before!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Malta

Regarding the noise and traffic in St Julians. I suppose it depends where abouts your hotel is. If it's on the main road then ,yes, there is going to be traffic , if it's in the Paceville area it could be noisy in the weekend evenings. But, to be honest, I don't think the traffic/noise is that bad.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Malta

rainbow, more places opened up as Easter weekend arrived,including a new bar adjacent to St Georges Bay,also the food & drink services by the pool at our hotel,most other places we used were open from our arrival,including the excellent Andrews Bar.

We had temperatures in the high 60's,after the winter we had left behind it seemed almost tropical,it was wonderful not to see snow or be freezing cold for what seemed the first time in an eternity!

The most irritating example of noise we experienced I guess was in Spinola Bay,it was a pleasant walk away,very pretty & we especially wanted to try the Dublinner Bar which had great reviews,the reviews were right,it was lovely,great food & staff BUT outside there was nose to tail traffic in both directions & people hit the horns every time the traffic stopped,sitting outside was a big no no,even inside the noise made conversation diffficult at times,a real shame!

england
Level Contributor
195 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in Malta

hat and sneafell,

thanks for setting my mind at rest. We're staying at Juliani hotel which looks to be roadside but gets good reviews so I'm hoping that other things will make up for possible traffic noise.

We're really looking forward to warmer weather and hopefully a lot less rain!

thanks again

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in Malta

The Juliani is handy for places to eat & drink,bus stops are right outside & it has a great view over Spinola Bay,enjoy!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter in Malta

The best rooms at the Juliani are the ones on the front overlooking the bay. Rooms on the higher floors are better to ensure you are not bothered by traffic noise when sitting on your balcony enjoying the view. It is a lovely small hotel which houses one of my favourite restaurants "Zest". Enjoy your trip.