We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold car Malta

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gold car Malta

Hi,so i read alot of bad reviews on goldcar around the world.We used them 5 years ago in tenerife and had no problems paid with debit card,no extra charges..just needed to buy full tank of petrol which we didnt mind as we used it all.

My question is anyone used goldcar in Malta?i know alot of bad comments might come..but i dont mind paying for additional insurance,full tank of petrol..as we will be there for 10 days..Any other hidden costs?as far as i understand if you take additional cover you dont need to leave deposit and ok to use debit card...We dont mind paying extra because afterall it still ends up much cheaper than any other company..as we will rent people carrier..any advice is appreciated!!

Dublin Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,159 reviews
from US$23.70*
City Sightseeing Berlin Hop-On...
112 reviews
from US$23.70*
Full-Day Quad Tour of Gozo
79 reviews
from US$93.40*
Gozo Full-Day Jeep Tour
41 reviews
from US$77.20*
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Gold car Malta

heard a lot of bad comments about gold car malta... they block amounts on the card and spend time chasing them to release it. I would try to rent from Davico Services, had a excellent service. I am happy to rent from them again.

Mildenhall
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Gold car Malta

Avoid avoid avoid!!!!! I started the rental with 44eur and when I arrived thay charge me other 225 for insurance WHAT IS NOT COVERING NOTHING!!!! Please please BE AWARE!!! I have a accident and I had to pay for all the damage what a stone on the road cosed. Roads are ruff!!!!! At the moment Im in contact with the police, because thay probably just take the money off and no insurance have bin made at all, so I cant claim!!!! Im really asking everybody who reading this think!!!!! Little extra and use a propper company. Roads are bad in Malta and Gozo, you will have damage anyway and it will cost you a lot. At the moment my 44€ car rental cost me 900€ and Im just tuday going to the police (and the police is not very helpfull)

13. Re: Gold car Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 11:05
Mildenhall
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Gold car Malta

Avoid avoid avoid!!!!! I started the rental with 44eur and when I arrived thay charge me other 225 for insurance WHAT IS NOT COVERING NOTHING!!!! Please please BE AWARE!!! I have a accident and I had to pay for all the damage what a stone on the road cosed. Roads are ruff!!!!! At the moment Im in contact with the police, because thay probably just take the money off and no insurance have bin made at all, so I cant claim!!!! Im really asking everybody who reading this think!!!!! Little extra and use a propper company. Roads are bad in Malta and Gozo, you will have damage anyway and it will cost you a lot. At the moment my 44€ car rental cost me 900€ and Im just tuday going to the police . UPDATE :))) Police was helpfull- Holdcar pay me back everithing. Never again Goldcar or Malta

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gold car Malta

Absolutely horrific experience, they have so many hidden costs that are not stated up front. There was a huge queue of unhappy customers all trying to fight the same battle with the two very unhelpful customer service representatives that manned the counter. They charge an additional €12 per day for insurance or €1500 excess in case of damages of which I highly doubt you will ever get back. They also charge extra for fuel. In comparison to all other rental companies at the airport the insurance was included as was the fuel. Avoid at all costs.

1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Gold car Malta

COWBOYS! COWBOYS! COWBOYS! These guys are proper cowboys. I also rented a car for 11 days by paying through rentalcars.com and then paying (on arrival at Malta airport) an exorbitant fuel amount of €66 for a full tank of petrol for a 1 litre car! And €11 a day insurance cover which barely covers a windscreen wiper! A few days into driving the car I noticed the car was struggling to make it up any hill so I reported it to them. They said that they would arrange a replacement car and in the meantime I should continue to drive the one I had (Peugeot 107). On day 9 the car almost refused to go up a hill leading to my front door but I struggled to get it there all the same. I reported it that evening at around 8pm and was told a replacement car would be arranged. 4 hours later 2 men and a lady turned up, looked at the car and said I had to pay for a replacement clutch!!! Would u believe it!!! I refused to pay, realised I was being duped and called the police instantly. To conclude, Goldcar took the faulty car away, didn't give me a replacement car (as I refused to pay for the replacement clutch) and now I'm stranded. These guys need to be jailed for malpractice. Avoid at all costs!!!!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Gold car Malta

Gold Car is the worst car rental ever!

Charge an additional hidden "service fee"! This is higher then the car rental price per day and is for "parking car at Malta airport and service"! We had to pay the insurance twice, because deposit for smallest car is 1.500! Fuel was not full, but charged as full! Payed more then double at the end! Never ever again!

Naxxar, Malta
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Gold car Malta

I also had the worst experience ever with gold car Malta. I hire cars a lot so have my own insurance to cover the excess so paid the 1500 deposit as I did not want to pay the extra 12 a day, as that would have made it more expensive than the big hire car companies. I was then told that the money would not be refunded for 21 days!!!! Why!!!! Then I was charged 89 euros for a full tank of petrol for a small car!!! I lived in Malta for many years and know that it would not cost anywhere near that amount to fill the car. So I eventually collected the car wich was very beaten up and damaged. I was told that all damage had been recorded and not to worry about it. When I drove out of the airport the car was difficult to drive and did not want to go up hills or go into first gear, I now know that is a symptom of the clutch going. The clutch went completely whilst trying to get up a hill and they charged me 895 euro to fix it!!!! I had the car for 3 days!!! They are thieves. They were well aware the car was defective when they hired it to me, looking at other posts I can see it is not the first time it has happened. Do not use this company under any circumstances.

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Gold car Malta

Hi,

We have just arrived home from Malta. Only good experience with Gold Car, no extra costs, we paid for extra insurance EUR 12/day but it is because we have different driving rules in Hungary and wanted to avoid paying EUR 1500 in case of any damages caused on the car.

20. Re: Gold car Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 11:05