We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!

Bridgend, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Help!!

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. My friend and I are going to Malta in August. (not yet booked)

I'm struggling to deside where to stay I've never been to Malta before and just found out her partner might be joining us as a 40th birthday surprise., would like to find a hotel that's close enough to some nightlife but not full of youngsters(at our age) and not couples orientated.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!

Masses of choice as August is busy everywhere. Sliema & St. Julians are the most cosmopolitan with nightlife centred on St. Julians. Bugibba & Qawra have masses of bars and these localities are what I define as a mainstream tourist resorts. Mellieha would be the quietest with evening entertainment being more gentile centred on restaurants and quieter bars. Budget will be the key as it's height of the season.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!

St Julian's would be a good spot with plenty of entertainment options including good restaurants (for all budgets), good bars and easy access to Paceville a small area adjoining St Julian's which is a little livelier including music bars and a couple of nightclubs. The Hotel Juliani could be a good choice since it appears to attract a more mature crowd (not to many young people) and a lot of persons around your age group, it is a smaller boutique style hotel set in a quieter part of St Julian's overlooking Spinola Bay. There are also several 5 star hotels any of which would be very nice and some less expensive options such as the Caveleri, Valentina and Rokna. If you provide more details of your preferences we may be able to make more recommendations.

There is also a small sandy beach and a lovely long promenade leading to neighboring Sliema.

Bridgend, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!

Now I've found out her partner will be joing us, it has put a bit of a spanner in the works as we were looking at self catering and explore but now I'm wondering would it be better to go all inclusive so if they deside to go off together I won't be totally alone (never been away like this before n feel it may turn into a solo holiday).

So with all that here goes with what I would like.

All inclusive

Room with sea view

Within walking distance to shops bars

Sandy beach with in walking distance or bus ride

I know it sounds a lot but if I do end up spending my today alone I'd like it to be enjoyable.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!

For this August your options may now be very limited with it being height of season and limited availability. With the scenario you now describe I think I would book myself into a hotel and let them sort themselves out. You do not want to end up being a gooseberry!

You do not give your budget but have at look as Qawra - Santana (but no sea view), Dolmen, Seashells at Suncrest, Qawra Palace, Park Lane. All easy to bus station to catch bus to beaches, etc. Apart from Santana all on prom with lovely sea views, breeze and you can enjoy walks on the block paved prom for many miles and sit on one of the many benches along the way.

If you wish to be right by the best beach - Mellieha - have a look at Seabank.

Hope holiday works out for you and you have a fab time.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!

I sometimes holiday solo in Malta (I am a similarly aged female) and even if you are alone (which I doubt) it is safe to explore, and the restaurants are welcoming. I generally go either self catering or bed and breakfast because I like the flexibility and the excellent choice of restaurants. AI in St Julian's is not the norm and where available it is quite poor.

There are more AI options in the Bugibba/Qawra area which offers better priced accommodations and is also geared for tourists. There is no sandy beach just a rocky coastline however the large sandy beach at Mellieha is only a 20 minute bus trip.

Mellieha arguably offers the best beach, however it is very quiet with limited entertainment options outside of the hotels. 2 nice hotels offering AI in Mellieha are the Mellieha Bay Hotel and the Seabank.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!

Sorry should have said Santana and Park Lane not on prom but only a couple of minutes walk away.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!!

Would be good to get an idea of your daily budget as the AI options tend to cost more and your fellow travellers may not want this option. Very few hotels in Malta are full-on resorts and the island is very densely populated meaning there are masses of locals around too. I think Sliema, St. Julians or Bugibba/Qawra would suit - day trips to the beach or sun bathe on the rocks. In the evenings these areas are busy and you can wander off safely and without a fear of feeling self-conscious.

Bridgend, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!!

Hehe,

I was thinking the same thing too old to play gooseberry, been looking at the Qawar Palace, Qawar or the San Antonio Hotel, Bugibba ( but read this one is still under construction n will not be completed by the time we go).

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!!

San Antonio was scheduled to be complete by beginning of April but as you rightly state from reviews is still not complete. Will it be finished by August? Who knows but do not think I'd take the chance. If you do book Qawra Palace make sure to book a sea view, Sun on balcony in the morning, as some balconies at the back are extremely close. The other place to look at in Qawra is the Sunny Coast which is self catering. Again ask for sea view, it is straight by the sea, as some rooms o overlook the Road.

10. Re: Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Malta