We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Malta - 1st time

Wellington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 days in Malta - 1st time

Travelling to Malta for the first time I'm late August, couple in their late 20's wondering where the best place to stay would be. Looking for affordable accommodation, not more than 700 euro's for total stay (4nights) we don't usually spend a lot of time in our accommodation when travelling but do like it to be clean and have private facilities.

We have just completed our open water dive certificate and picked Malta for this reason, so we definitely want to check out some local spots, maybe do 2 or 3 dives over the 4 days. Been tossing up between St Julian's, Sliema and Mellieha. Would it be best for us to hire a car to ensure we still see the highlights of Malta or would the bus be ok? Is a day trip to Gozo for a dive recommended?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

Aside from diving what are your other likes and dislikes? This is important if we are to offer advice regarding resort and accommodation, I.e. Do you like lively bars and nightlife or do you prefer a quiet area, is a sandy beach important? If you read the answers to the Top Questions on the right of this page it will provide more information. There are lots of dive operators all over Malta and Gozo who can assist with your dives and may also have a dive trip to Gozo during your stay. I have only dived with Divewise in St Juilians (www.divewise.mt) who are very good, but there are other equally we'll reviewed companies in all resorts.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

I've known people just base themselves on Gozo for a relatively short break. It's a lovely island with a fantastic beach at Ramla Bay. Diving schools I'm aware of are in Qala, Xlendi or Marsalforn. Try looking at the San Andrea Hotel in Xlendi. It's a good 3 star hotel and next door to the diving school. Lots of good places to eat within walking distance too.

You could hire a car at Malta Airport and use this for transfer on the easily accessed Gozo ferry. Gozo will be great to explore when you are not diving too.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

I'd also recommend divewise. Most dive centres will collect you from wherever you are staying but it's best to check before you book. You'll be tied to where the dives are planned but if you mention preference to dive on Gozo I'm sure they'll take that into account. Your dives will take you to about 3 pm once you've got back to base and sorted your equipment out so that leaves the rest of the day to do other things so a car is advisable.

So far as accomodation is concerned check out the options on TA and self catering sites. Search by "review" to see what others say.

Ennjy your trip

Edited: 15 May 2014, 11:45
Wellington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

We do like lively bars etc but in saying that we'd probably only be interested in one nights worth of it, would prefer to sit down and eat at a lively restaurant with the option to go out later if we felt like it. Sounds like hiring a car might be the way to go instead of relying on the bus given we want to see/do so much in such a small amount of time. Coming all the way from NZ we want to cram in as much as possible while away! No rest for the wicked huh! Thanks so much for your advice, thinking we will base ourselves in silema/st julians area as main touristy things seem to be handy from there.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

Most of the dive sites in Sliema/StJulians will provide a pickup/drop off service to hotels and so it may not be necessary to hire a car. If you do hire a vehicle it would be good to choose accommodation with onsite parking such as the Westin, Juliani, Hilton, Le Meridian (to name a few) because street parking can sometimes be problematic especially at weekends. You will find a good selection of restaurants in your chosen area for all budgets. Enjoy your stay.

6. Re: 5 days in Malta - 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:17